Flashback 2

"Are you sure you want me second in command?"

"Of course I do cal! I trust you. A lot. We're gonna get through this."

Pearl did her best to force a smile as she placed a hand on Callie's shoulder. They'd been in the metro for a little while now. Pearl decided it was about time callie was put in co command ever since the shorter inkling had been voted as the leader of this rebellion. Callie gave her a smile, bending down and hugging her. "I'll do my best." The cuttlefish murmured. Pearl gave a soft smile before hugging back. Callie eventually pulled away, frowning slightly. "Are you doing ok?" Pearl raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, why're you asking?" Callie sighed, looking back towards the other end of the metro. The two were currently sitting in the abandoned beginning of the testing station, while everyone else who was in team chaos were deeper in the area.

"You haven't been the same since this all started and I know why. I'm sorry about marina.."

Pearl froze slightly. Her thoughts started drifting. Oh it had seemed like a normal evening when marina came home from partying with team order. She had checked in on how pearl was doing, before saying she had to do something real quick. Marina had been gone for the rest of the day before finally coming back to their room and getting ready for bed.

Everything had spiraled downhill from there.

It had only been a week later when marina had made the news announcement that she had changed her mind about what she wanted to do with inkopolis. Pearl had asked her about her new plans and marina had only told her it would all be a surprise, and to not go in her work room. So the inkling didn't, trusting her wife and ignoring the odd sludgy noises in it.

Then the construction on inkopolis had began.

All the buildings were changed. The atmosphere felt different. Turf maps were revamped, including the lobby itself. Halfway through it all, marina had called pearl over to her new office she had built. A large building near the outskirts of inkopolis, by mount nantai. The inkling still remembered seeing that horrible telephone on its stand by her desk on the top floor. Pearl had asked in confusion and horror why he was here, and why marina seemed so calm that he was here.

"Don't you remember what he put 8 and 3 through?!"

She had yelled.

"Don't you remember what he almost did to inkopolis?!"

And then marina had calmly explained he was different now. He was helping her build a better inkopolis, one that for sure, wouldn't end up changing the things marina wanted to keep. And when marina had asked pearl to join them, to rule this new inkopolis right beside her, to be her queen, she snapped.

"SHELL NO! Marina don't you see?! Tartar's corrupting your mindset! Do you really think any of this is for the good of inkopolis?!?! That our friends want any of this? That YOU really want this?!"

Marina had frowned. "Marie already has joined me. And I've already convinced eight and Ashley too as well. I've shown a lot of people. And look, they all have nothing to worry about now!"

Marina had motioned to the window, and when pearl had looked out she had seen groups of sanitized citizens of inkopolis moving towards the turf lobby. Pearl had shakily took a step back, shaking.

"Y-You're sick. This is sick. W-What did you do to Marie and ei-"

"I'm not sick Pearlie. Off the hook isn't something I want to change. Me and tartar are allowing you to stay with us and I feel like you should be more grateful-"

Pearl couldn't take it anymore. She gave marina one last horrified look before turning around and running. As fast as she could.

She had to warn everyone on team chaos. She'd find a way. Marina's voice rang through speakers on the wall as pearl fled down the flights of stairs.

"Pearl's in the building. Don't let her get away."

"Marina what did he do to you.."

Callie waved a hand in front of Pearl's face to snap her out of her thoughts. The cuttlefish knew what she was thinking about and she knew she shouldn't be. Pearl blinked, tears forming in her eyes. Callie bent down and hugged her again, pearl clinging on tightly to her friend and letting out a sob. Callie patted her back, staying silent.

"I j-just wanna s-see my marina again.. the o-old marina.. I wanna s-see my k-kid callie, I w-wanna see my brothers a-again, a-and all our f-friends.."

"I know, I know. We all do pearl. It's gonna be ok. Everything is going to be ok. I promise."

Callie pulled back a bit, taking Pearl's crown she had let her borrow for the splatfest off her head, holding it out to her. "Do you want to have this back..?" Pearl stared at it, memories of everything she'd done with off the hook flooding through her mind.

"Keep it. I don't want it anymore."

Callie gave a concerned look before nodding, putting it back on her head. "Ok. We should probably check on everyone else tho-"

It was then the metro docked in the station. Pearl stared at it. She was glad they got c.q. On their side. It was pretty easy after telling him what was going on outside. The doors to the metro slid open, and out stepped an all too familiar octoling with indigo tentacles tipped with purple and red. Callie gasped, pearl watching her run to the octoling and tackle hug her.

"MIZUTA!"

Mizuta hugged her girlfriend back tightly, c.q. Cumber slithering out to the doorway.

"I found her injured and limping into the metro station. She was requesting to see you two, and since she isn't sanitized like everyone else and I am aware of how close she is to Callie, even though she is on team order, I thought it would be ok."

Pearl nodded, flashing a grateful glance to the sea cucumber before moving towards Callie and Mizuta. "Ahato. Long time no see. What are you doing here?" Callie pulled away from her girlfriend, and pearl instantly noticed the large ink covered wound on her leg. The octoling had an expression that was a mixture of relief and fear. "I can't stay there anymore. When t-team order won I didn't know this would happen. Marina didn't even tell me about tartar until yesterday, and even though I hate him I was willing to stay there to try and reason with her until she tried to s-sanitize me. I.. I couldn't go back to being like that. To b-being so emotionless all the time, only following orders from him.. so I-I ran and s-some sanitized I-Inklings ran after m-me with w-weapons and-" Mizuta cut herself off with a small sob, Callie instantly latching onto her again to comfort her. "It's ok f1sh. It'll be ok.."

Pearl's hands balled into fists. "Callie look after everyone for a bit." Pearl stepped inside the metro, now in the doorway. Callie let go of Mizuta again, moving forwards and putting a hand on her shoulder. "Pearl where are you going? It's dangerous to leave at all!" Pearl turned around, staring Callie in the eyes.

"I need to talk to marina. She's going too far and I'm not gonna sit here wallowing in the metro while inkopolis grows worse and worse and fricking leave my friends and family in danger!"

Callie looked taken aback by the outburst, before sighing and stepping back. "Ok.. please please be careful. Don't do anything reckless." Pearl gave a small smile. "Thanks cal. You're the best friend anyone could ever ask for." With that, pearl ran into the train, the doors closing.

That was the last time anyone saw pearl.