Chapter 12

warning, if you are uncomfortable with written death, I advise to skip anywhere near the end of this chapter

Marina stood hesitantly outside of agent 8's locked room, hand raised and hovering over the electronic pad that would unlock her room.

Marina had given pearl a key card and told her the way out, the inkling promising they'd wait for her to get 8, despite Mizuta and Octavio's protesting.

Sucking in a breath slightly, marina shakily unlocked the door, slowly swinging open the door. Eight was sitting on the edge of her bed, head down staring at the ground. She either didn't notice marina was in her room or didn't care.

"..hey 8."

Eight ignored her, turning with her back facing marina. The octoling bit back a sigh, taking a few steps forwards. 8 deserved to hate her, and she could all she wants. But right now they needed to hurry and head to the metro for more antidote materials, and she wasn't going to leave her daughter behind. She took a seat on the opposite end of the bed, silence filling the room for a few seconds.

"You can hate me all you want, because I know I deserve it. But I just want you to know I regret my actions, and abusing the faith you had in me."

"..."

"..pearl isn't sanitized anymore. She didn't hurt anyone either, so your friends are fine. We're on our way to the metro to get the materials for more antidotes so I can fix what I've done. I thought you might want to come. I love you 8. I'm sorry."

Marina stood up, going towards the doorway. She froze when arms wrapped around her, and she turned her head to see eight was hugging her. The smaller octoling let go, a faint small smile on her face. "I knew you'd come around eventually. I forgive you mommy."

Marina blinked for a few seconds, slightly fighting back tears at hearing those words, seeing 8 smile at her, when she hadn't in so long. "I.. 8 you don't have to forgive me yet. I've done a lot of horrible things to you and everyone-"

"I know." The agent cut her off, wrapping her arms around her again. "..I know. But I always knew deep down this wasn't you. And I was never ready to give up on you. And knowing the others, I think you at least need one person on your side still right now."

Marina sniffled, hugging 8 back for a few seconds.

"I'm so so sorry for everything."

"I know. But you're gonna fix it. I know you will."

The two let go of each other, marina nodding. "Yeah, yeah I will." She took a hold of her daughter's hand, heading out the doorway.

"Now let's go help the others."

*   *   *

Pearl flashed a relieved smile at the two when eight and marina exited the tall tower. Marina smiled as pearl immediately went for 8, the agent running into her arms.

"C-Cod I've been wanting to hug you back for so long now"

Marina walked away from the two, giving them a moment as she approached callie. Mizuta shot her a protective glare she chose to ignore for now, Marie just silently moving aside a bit. "So, Whats the plan when we get to the metro..? It'll be a bit dangerous for me, 8, and Marie to be in there since that's where your rebellion is." Callie sighed and nodded, crossing her arms. "Let's not forget about that octoling you kinda sent after the rebellion, cus according to three he probably wiped out everyone by now and will do the same to us."