Chapter 9

Everything was black. Pitch black. There was a ringing in the salmonling's ears, but he still blinked his eyes, desperately trying to regain his sight. Eventually, the room went from black, to hazy. Comet sat up, blinking some more as the room became clear. He immediately noticed he was in a cage. Around him were other cages, and turning his head, he could see the familiar sight of agent 4. The salmonling gave a sigh of relief that she was ok, but immediately noticed something.

Her tentacles were always dull, but cod they looked just.. dead, at this point. Her back was towards him and the rest of the room, and she was hunched in the corner, small sniffling being heard now and then, Lil Judd sitting on her lap and staring up at her. Comet scooted closer to the edge of the cage, sticking his arm out the bar and into her cage in an attempt to reach out to her. But a familiar voice made him jump slightly.

"I'd leave her alone if I were you. I've tried talking to her. She wants to be alone."

Comet trailed his eyes upwards to see octavio. He was in another cage, this one hanging from the ceiling. He retracted his hand, Inching towards the front of the cage. "What happened..?" Octavio rolled his eyes and sighed. "We.. we were guarding the lobby like you guys asked us too. Things were going good, nothing to report yet, when all of a sudden Marie ran inside. 4 took one look at her, got up, tried running towards her, and that stupid cuttlefish panicked and sniped her, kept apologizing like, 1000 times, then turned around and sniped me before I could yell at her. Next thing I know I'm in this cage along with the rest of you idiots."

Comet stared at the ex octoling leader for a few seconds, his gaze turning towards the inkling's and softening slightly.

Poor 4...

Marie was someone 4 talked about to him a lot. It was obvious the agent missed her, so to be betrayed by Marie like that must of affected her a lot. Comet put his attention back on Octavio, standing up and grabbing hold of the bars in front of him. "Wheres Callie Mizuta and 8?" Octavio shook his head. "I wanna know what happened up there first. Did you find pearl??" The salmonling held in a sigh, trying to be patient with him. "Yeah, we found pearl. Marie and marina caught us and-"

"Iida was there?"

"Yeah, and she got some syringe out and told marie to knock us out. I think.. I think she's gonna sanitize pearl.."

Octavio stared comet down for a few moments, before his tentacles retracted from the bars, slithering near the back of the cage with his back facing comet. "Then we have no chance now. If she's actually going to sanitize pearl then it's all over. She'll have the location of the rebellion base and sanitize everyone else. It's over."

Comet frowned, shakily stepping away from the front of the cage.

No.. no.. no..

That can't be true.. there has to be something we can do..

"W.. where are the others Octavio..?"

The oversized octopus sighed, still not facing him. "They're in cages in the back. 8 was never brought in with them." Comet nodded, turning towards the other side of him, cupping his claws around his snout. "CALLIE? MIZUTA?"

...

There was no answer. Comet looked towards Octavio, noticing he was looking towards the back, which was littered with spare cages. He had a a confused look. "They.. they were here.. I was just talking to them.. they couldn't of gone to sle-"

The octo was cut off when the metal door in front of comet slowly opened up. In walked a sanitized inkling, some odd version of the hive mind antenna glasses over their face.

Probably designed by marina..

The inkling had some kind of keycard, pressing it against something on the cage, before swinging open the door. Comet began backing away to the corner of the cage, narrowing his eyes. The inkling only stood in front of him. "Queen Marina wishes to see you." Comet blinked, slightly confused. "J... Just me..?" The inkling nodded, walking into the cage, grabbing the salmonling by the arm, and dragging him out. Comet didn't protest, staring up at octavio with fearful eyes. Octavio shared the nervous expression, pressing himself up against his cage towards him with one of his tentacles hanging out.

I don't like where this is going

Once the inkling took him out the door, she let go of his arm, now leading him down the hallway. Comet followed, not liking the creepy atmosphere.

"So.. do you uh, know what she wants with me?"

There was no response from her. The salmonling sighed, but kept following her. Eventually they reached another door. The inkling scanned the keycard on the door, comet watching it slide open. He hissed at the bright light before him, but the inkling shoved him out, and the door slid quickly to a close behind him. Shielding his eyes with his claws slightly, comet started walking towards the center of the room he was now in. It was large and circular shaped, the floor a silver color with the walls being a light blue. There was a balcony surrounding the room above, making the place seem almost like an arena.

"Well well well, look who it is! Comet, was it?"

Comet looked up towards the balcony to see none other then marina. She was leaning against the rails, a smug look on her face. "You're the agent 7, correct? Don't know why callie would recruit you. Or was it Pearlie that did so? I have no idea how long you've been part of the rebellion. But doesn't matter! As it all ends today."

Comet narrowed his eyes, claws balling into fists. "What do you plan on doing to me you sick freak?!" Marina narrowed her eyes before closing them and sighing. "That's no way to talk to your new ruler. Especially.."

Marina's eyes opened, a small grin on her face.

"..with guests around."

Comet gave a confused look. "What do you-"

[Hello Agent 7. It is a pleasure to meet you! ♪]

Comet span around, eyes widening in fear as he saw him. The one he saw on the paintings. The one supposedly behind all this.

Commander Tartar.

The telephone had a golden crown atop the teal sludge oozing from his head, a sanitized octoling tentacle hanging from it. "Wh.."

[You know, it is funny. Now that you and the rebellion arrived, Queen Marina and I looked through the city's surveillance systems, and this tower's. We have noticed you are just.. there. You have done nothing useful to your team so far. Besides, salmonling's and salmonid's don't produce ink. You produce a sludge like substance similar to ink, but it is still unable to be sanitized. And because of this, we decided to use other means as of to eliminate you.]

"W-What do you-"

[And since you have yet to have a chance to prove yourself worthy of actually being part of what your friends call, "the squidbeak splatoon," me and Marina have decided, your demise should go off with a bang. Something fun for me and Queen marina to watch, and a special way of getting rid of you. You should be excited! This treat is only for you after all, even though you won't survive it. I guess you could say..]

Metal doors across from comet on the far side of the room slowly slid open, and out of them before they shut again, walked a short, pale green inkling, with green and blue tentacles, and glowing teal eyes. Comet swore his heart stopped.

[You don't have an inkling of a chance! ♪]

It was pearl. And she was sanitized, and ready to kill him.