Chapter 16

Four was so tired.

Callie was dead. Comet was injured. Her friend's were hurting. Before she fell asleep down there she faintly remembered hearing pearl and three arguing. Marina made things so awkward. Marie seemed so distraught.

She was so tired of everything.

She regretted not bringing lil Judd with her, she could use the cat's comfort right now. She wanted to sleep. She wanted to pretend that she didn't feel like the month she spent slaving away in octo canyon for callie was wasted now. Because that was selfish. Everyone had it harder then her right now. She had no right to keep that thought in her mind.

Which is why she ignored how tired she was. She got through days being tired in the past, mainly working to fight octarians. So she could deal with it again.

Before that was a physical tired though. This was a mental tired she hadn't felt since..

Since..

Four shuddered, trying and failing once again to repress memories of her childhood. A hand squeezing her own brought her back to reality as the group continued trudging through the metro chambers, towards the kamabo co science lab.

"4? You good?"

The shorter agent glanced at agent 3, smiling softly and nodding. 3 gave her a look of pure disbelief before sighing and shrugging. The other agent still didn't let go of her hand, so now all three of the agents were holding hands and walking together.

It was kinda nice. It made her feel a bit better.

Eventually they all reached the elevator that led to the floors of the science labs. Four felt three shudder, and she held her friend's hand a bit tighter, hoping that would help. The inklings and small salmonid in the group looked nervous as well. Everyone did.

"So." Pearl finally broke the silence. "Let's go get the stuff to cure our city." She stepped aside, glancing at marina, who nodded at her. "Right, I'll uh, lead the way."

The elevator was small, so they went in groups. Pearl, Marina, Marie, the salmonid and the two inklings stepped in first. It felt like ages before the elevator came back, and 4 was growing worried something had happened. She let out a breath of relief she didn't realize she was holding when the elevator doors opened. It was just the remaining recruited agents. Comet, Maya, Ashley, and Eight.

The four nervously stepped on. The doors closed, and the old rusty elevator began its slow track up.

The ride was filled with silence for a little bit, until eight spoke up.

"..this is kinda crazy, huh?"

Three scoffed. "Understatement." Eight cracked a small smile in return. "I mean, comet I'm assuming you started out with normal salmonid stuff right? Guarding eggs from grizzco?"

Comet gave an awkward chuckle, scratching the back of his head. "I, um, yeah you could say that, haha."

"And you two just did agent work for Marie and Callie and.. mister cuttlefish..." eight's tone grew a tiny bit sad at the mention of his name, but she quickly continued. "And I went from a soldier to a test subject. It's strange to think that we went from all that to Uh, recovering humanity from being-"

"Zombies? Yeah, it's weird." Three finished the sentence for her, glancing towards comet. "What'd you mean by 'you could say that'?"

Comet's head shot up at that. "H-Huh?"

"I mean, you don't have to talk about it if you don't wanna."

The purple haired salmonling shook his head. "No no it's ok, the question just caught me off guard. Salmonlings aren't too common at the island by grizzco, so like, we were usually tasked with odd jobs around the village we lived at. I Uh, wasn't really good at anything but picking fights with the wrong people I guess? So I was kinda shunned. No one really wanted to be around me. I think they were afraid of me. 'Called me a freak." He laughed it off, as if it was something normal. Before any of the agents could react, he glanced at them.