Chapter 15

"And then momma told me to come find you. They're gonna start a patrol later to get materials for a cure for the whole city."

Three just blinked, stunned from the whole thing. "S.. So Callie's really.."

Eight glanced down, nodding slowly. "Yeah. She is."

Three moved her sleeve to her face and wiped away already forming tears. Eight grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers. She couldn't help but smile at her girlfriend. "You can cry you know, it's ok." The inkling chuckled sadly. "I know, I know. Later I'll get it out. How's Mizuta Four and pearl dealing with it?" Eight's comforting smile faded at the question, glancing at the ground as the two walked through the empty part of the city.

"Mizuta? Not good. She hasn't come out of her and Callie's area of the base yet. Four's tentacles look like death and she refuses to leave Marie's side, and I can tell Momma's trying to hide how sad she is. No one's really handling it well."

Three nodded, letting out a small sigh. She glanced at eight's silver and white tentacles, frowning slightly. "You can change your tentacle's back to magenta now you know." Eight jumped slightly at that, blinking for a bit before smiling. "Yeah.. I guess I can." She gazed at three, the inkling slightly getting lost in her gray eyes. "Only if you change yours back too." Three laughed and shrugged. "Ok."

The two paused in their walking. Three closed her eyes, shifting her ink color. When she opened them, eight's ink was back to magenta and purple, three's yellow green and green. "That feels a lot better honestly." Eight murmured. Three nodded in agreement. The two continued walking in silence, not letting go of each other, until eventually three spoke.

"I understand you said Marina's on our side now, but I don't think I'm ready to forgive her yet, or for a long time even." She mumbled, glancing away slightly with slightly narrowed eyes. The thought of going to the rebellion's base and acting like nothing was ever wrong and Marina was just there now enraged her after everything the ex idol had done.

The octoling nodded, sighing. "That's reasonable. No one else really has forgave her either." Three glanced back at her girlfriend. "How about you?"

Eight gave her a confused glance. "Huh?"

"Do you forgive her? I know this is difficult for you. She went from someone you admire and look up to, to a mother figure, to basically being your captor, to whatever she is to you now."

It honestly scared eight slightly with how accurate her girlfriend explained the situation. Three wasn't good with her own emotions but she was darn good with other people's.

"Um.. I told her before I forgive her."

Three sighed, giving the octoling's hand a small squeeze. "But do you actually forgive her?" Three watched eight bite her lip, and they continued walking in silence for a bit, three patiently waiting for an answer.

"I don't know."

"And that's perfectly fine." Three replied, surprisingly calmly. "It's conflicting. You don't have to decide on it yet."

Hearing that honestly made eight feel a bit better. "Is this what it felt like when you left your team?"

Three laughed, shaking her head. "Nope. I still don't forgive my team. They guilt tripped me to move away from my only family for some stupid turf tournaments cus I was young and dumb, while constantly being jerks to me. Plus we were never close. Your situation and mine are different."

Eight nodded, but three continued.

"That being said, even though I don't understand the situation as well, I'm still here for you if you need it, ok?" Eight smiled, pausing as she leaned up to give three a kiss. The inkling was slightly stunned for a few seconds before kissing back. Eight pulled away, still smiling. "Thank you Ashley. I really do appreciate that." The inkling was blushing furiously, burying her face into the collar of her cape. " 'M g-glad." Eight giggled at her, taking her hand and continuing towards where the direction of the base was.