Chapter 11

Marina felt all sort of feelings as she ran down the hallway from the arena room.

Her plans were failing

That wasn't supposed to happen.

Tartar is starting up plan B. It'll be ok. Marie's still on my side. I can try and get 8 back on it. I can make this wo-

"M-Marina.."

The all too familiar voice made Marina freeze in her tracks.

She knew who it was.

She didn't want to turn around.

But, a part of her longed to. A part of her knew she had too.

So she did. Marina turned around, and bit back a wince upon seeing pearl, hand on the wall to try and support herself. While the antidote to the sanitation process did bring her conscious back, most of her skin was still the pale green. The tips of her tentacles formed a tiny bit of pink, and only some parts of her face, and mainly her arm where she'd been injected had turned back into her regular skin color.

The guilt came crashing down on marina. She never wanted it to come to this. She never wanted her Pearlie, her precious adorable Pearlie, to be in this condition.

She is and it's my fault.

Back before, marina had logic behind what she was doing. In her mind, Pearl was being stubborn. When she first captured her, she had tried to give her a nice room in the tower. But she kept trying to escape. So she just put extra locks. Still, she tried to escape. So marina just resorted to the dungeon. "If I can just.. make her a little weaker, then she won't be able to leave." Was her plan. She kept the syringe near by, because tartar said it would be useful just in case. And in that state of well hidden panic she had when callie and the rebellion had broken in, she used it.

But now, looking at pearl, and seeing what she did to her, the love of her life, marina wished she could take it all back. Tartar has advised her to stay away from pearl after locking her up, saying spending too much time with her would make her feel too guilty. Now marina was staring to see what he meant.

The look of anger that was still sparked on Pearl's face made her hearts ache. Seeing as she stopped, the inkling began slowly making her way towards marina. The octoling stayed still, letting her approach her, until she was right in front of her. Pearl weakly poked a finger at Marina's chest, before she began speaking.

"You've d-done a lot of horrible things s-since you've won. You're hurting s.. so many people m-marina."

Marina noticed the tears forming on Pearl's face.

"This.. this i-isn't you. This isn't m-my marina. Don't you think tha-"

Marina cut pearl off by bending down and wrapping pearl into a hug, holding her tightly. Pearl started thrashing, trying to break free. Marina didn't let go though, tears of her own forming in her eyes. "I know.. I know.. I'm sorry Pearl. I'm genuinely, sorry. I.. you're right." At those words, the inkling seemed to stop trying to break free. Marina let pearl pull back a bit, staring into her golden eyes. They had a hesitant look in them. But after a few seconds, pearl wrapped her arms around marina, burying her face into her. Marina rested her head on Pearl's head, the two holding each other and crying. Marina brought the two to the ground, pearl still hugging her as they sat on the ground, marina stroking her tentacles and trying to get her to calm down as she tried to calm her own tears as well. Marina's head turned towards the direction of a window in the hallway. The sight of the silver and blue buildings all of a sudden made her feel sick.

..what part of me made me go this over board

The two sat in silence for a bit more, minus Pearl's sniffling. Eventually though, she had calmed down, as silence filled the room.