Chapter 14: A trio of morons, second wave.

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

"This town feels lifeless somehow. Has the famine been going since we left ?"

Raphtalia: But more importantly, it seems people are scared...

???: Is it really true ?

???: Yeah, it seems so.

'You're kidding me... What in the name of Speedwagon is Itsuki doing here ?!! And why is he dressed as a simple traveler... ?'

Naofumi: 'Carrying an arrow, probably his bow in disguise, like my book shield. Is he gathering info at this pub ?'

'It would seem so. You see it's useful, to communicate via Hermit Purple like that.'

Adventurer: The investigation says that the lord of this town levies heavier taxes than the national standard, and punishes those in disagreement with hired muscle.

'So, those who were wandering with heads raised high, are goons for this purpose...'

Itsuki: I see. This lord, deserves a little lesson !

Hearing that, the two of us fell down from our chairs, trying not to laugh and not to cringe at the same time.

Itsuki: What happened ?

Adventurer: Nothing, just a couple of drunkards.

Itsuki: Now everyone, let's go.

Naofumi: 'Hey hey... Are you Robin Hood or what ?'

'I bet he'll make a fuss at the lord's manor, reveal his identity and lecture the bad guy ! Noble intents, but still dumb as fuck...'

Naofumi: Whatever, this has nothing to do with us, so let's not get involved.'

Naofumi: ... Haa.

Blacksmith: Hey, what's wrong with you, kid ? You look so down ! It didn't change much in appearance, but its performance improved ! All thanks to the magic dragon's core you guys brought !

"See ? I told you it would be enough for improving both our gears."

Naofumi: Well, let's forget the design...

Blacksmith: isn't the next wave coming soon ? The heroes who shall save the world deserve this, right ?

"Save the world, huh ? We'll do what we can."

Itsuki: There they are ! Hey you ! Why did you steal our quest rewards ?!!

"... Nani... ?"

Itsuki: I was asked to depose a lord who misgoverned his domain ! But when I visited the guild to collect my reward, they told me someone had already taken it..

Naofumi: Why do you suspect us ?

Itsuki: You're the only heroes who'd do that kind of things !

Naofumi: Hey; listen. What makes you think it was one of the heroes ? Did you make sure to give proof you were a hero when you accepted the quest ? In any case, it's pointless to hide your identity.

Itsuki: Wh-What are you talking about ?!

Naofumi: It might make you feel good to be an ally of justice, but you can't get the credit you deserve. There's been rumors about Ren and Motoyasu lately, but we haven't heard anything about you... Did you expect people to know it was actually you ? You should brag about what you've done, or you'll get fooled like that.