Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Amethyst watched in awe as the tall man strode in, his head almost touching the top of the doorframe, his eyes hidden beneath a pair of dark sunglasses and his lips upturned in a slightly amused smile. His shoulders were broad, the perfect tone of his muscles against the fabric of his suit hugging his body so much she wondered if he could even breathe.

For a moment, she was hypnotized by the pair of hazel eyes he revealed when he took the shades off but she quickly shook the daze off, focusing her gaze further outside her private room and saw swooning nurses and gawking men.

The man closed the door behind him, an eyebrow raised in question, taking a seat beside her bed as he spoke, studying her. "And what might be so funny young lady?"

"Swooning nurses and flushed faced men. I thought only Doctor James had that effect on people, never thought there'd be another version of him."

"James..." he stared at the white ceiling for a few moments, trying to recall a familiar face inside his head before he scoffed.

Amethyst shook her head. "Forgive me for my bluntness...sir.... But what may be the reason of your visit?"

She flashed him a polite smile, the same smile she had shown to all the other strange men that came in and out of her room every day.

She felt her eyes widening in wonder with every word that came from his mouth.

"My name is Giotto Xavier, head of the Xavier group. I am here to take responsibility of you and formally adopt you as the daughter of the Xavier group."

"I-I'm sorry. What?" She stared at him, the small tang of fear and excitement bubbling from within her and she fought to control it.

He laughed at her expression, waving a hand in front of her as if he delivered that kind of news on a daily basis.

"It was your fault..." those words rang through Giotto's very core sent his inner self to cower in fear as Amethyst was lost in her thoughts. She can't find out. Not now, not ever.

She turned to look outside the window facing the hospital park full of lush greenery, giggling nurses and doctors, and patients walking around aimlessly by themselves.

"Thank you for offering me a home. I promise I would not bring you trouble." she told him softly, cautiously. "I have nothing better to do in this hospital anyways and I definitely don't want to stay here."

He forced a smile and nodded. "I'll tell the doctors of your decision then. When will your cast be removed?"

She turned towards him with a genuine smile onher face. "Today"    

(Edited 29.07.15) Revised 13.02.16