Chapter 23

Though Dawnstar felt weird stepping down from leadership, it didn't make sense to continue when she was on her last life and she was about to have kits.

Dawnstar nodded to Jayfeather, who was waiting for her. The two walked out of the camp with the vines outside of the entrance brushing against her pelt.

"You sure you want to this?" Jayfeather asked.

Dawnstar closed her eyes, "Yes...I'm going to have kits and I am on my last life...There's no reason to continue being a leader now..."

Jayfeather nodded his head, "Okay."

Dawnstar and Jayfeather didn't speak for the rest of the way to the moonpool and once they got there, Jayfeather nodded his head again and stepped back.

Dawnstar touched her muzzle on the cold water. It didn't take long for the darkness to consume her vision before her eyes shot open to a starry field. Starry trees, starry grass, and even a starry robin. Dawnstar looked to see a leader that gave her ninth life, Firestar, "Firestar." Dawnstar nodded in respect.

Firestar spoke soon, "You are absolutely sure you want to pull back from leadership?"

Dawnstar sighed, "So you already know? Yes, I am sure."

Firestar, to, sighed, "Then all cats that gave Dawnstar her nine lives, I summon you to the clearing!"

Soon eight other cats appeared. The shapes of Blossomfall, Bluestar, Thunderstar, Squirrelstar, Ferncloud, Ashfur, Ashblade, and Birchtail appeared after Firestar's call.

Blossomfall walked up to Dawnstar. The very first cat that ever welcomed Dawnstar to ThunderClan was Blossomfall. Blossomfall was Dawnstar's biggest supporter when it came to who Squirrelstar's deputy would be. It would've been either Ivypool or Lionblaze, but Lionblaze didn't show much willingness to be a deputy. Ivypool was close, but at the end, Squirrelstar chose her. Dawnstar felt so bad that Ivypool didn't get chosen that Dawnstar made Ivypool deputy when she became leader.

"I hope you you raise your kits to be the best warriors they can be." Blossomfall purred. Blossomfall touched muzzles with Dawnstar. Dawnstar could feel the life leave her body for a second time, "See you soon Dawnstar."

"You to my old friend..." Dawnstar whispered. She felt like she was going to cry. Blossomfall was hunting alone and a badger happened to be in the area.

Soon Bluestar walked up to her, "You made a good leader while you were one. You did better with the outcome of your feelings than I ever could." Bluestar touched noses with Dawnstar and Dawnstar felt a cold dread go across her spine. She didn't know where it came from. It felt like she fell in cold water from the top of a cliff!

Bluestar walked away and Thunderstar walked up to her, "It is rare I give lives to leaders," the nearly faded leader spoke, "I could tell you would help lead the clans to a better point."

"In all honesty, Lionstripe lead the clans to this point. He may have been gone for awhile, but that also affected how long the preparations were. It allowed to double-check everything and make sure the plan was fool proof. But he lead us to this point. He made the plan. And if anything, Runningstar helped Lionstripe get an idea. Runningstar and Lionstripe are the ones to thank for where we are now. Adderstripe should be thanked for betraying Redstar and sending all the medicine cats all to the other clans. Dovewing should be the one to thank for getting the medicine cats to the other clans safely. I shouldn't be thanked, they should. The three should be thanked. Their fourth and fifth should be thanked. Not me."