HALSEY AND MAEUM

The transition from Korea to the US was an unexpected one. A social media award turned in BTS booming into the Western music industry. It was then that interactions between western artist and the group became a normality. One artist, in particular, being Halsey who despite language barrier attempts to form close bonds with the members of the group, Maeum to be specific. With the female of the group practicing her English more and more and the western artist brushing up on Korean;  the duo had found a nice middle ground in where a friendship bloomed.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

'POP OFF SIS'

'POP OFF SIS'

Media and fans turned head at the sight of a friendship between BTS and Halsey, even more so when the kpop group's comeback involved her in their main song. Exposure went for both groups where the other would be mentioned. Both took it with warm smiles gushing over how fun it was working with one another. Armys took to delight seeing the usually quiet Maeum during English interviews voice her enthusiasm for working with such a kind and talented artist who went the extra mile to speak in her native language.

But just as there are good interviews there are also bad ones. Xenophobic ones. Sexist ones. And the horrid mix of both.

Halsey wasn't a stranger to being questioned for her line of work solely for being a female. She had grown accustomed to the mention of BTS but had no intention of shying away from many westerners taking negatively to their American "debut". She had seen locals question their impact and success, ignoring the extraordinary numbers and zero in on their race, even more so seeing one female in a group of men.

"I'm gonna say bad and you're going to add something that's terrible to that."

The request from the interviewer was simple enough but the more the game continued the more she noticed the interviewer try to throw in BTS into the loop, something Halsey dodged with ease but she knew deep within her that it would not be the last attempt.

And she was right.

"What does a Korean group have any chance in the US music world? What does a female in an all-male group become useful other than just a pretty face?"

The flash of anger and insult stayed on Halsey's face.

"What thought process does a bad host have in asking such rude questions?" Was Halsey's response. Her lips curled into a polite smile but the fire in her eyes continued to burn.

Fans didn't take a liking to the questions the host had asked, especially not for attacking Maeum's presence, Maeum's role and Maeum's gender. When you attack one you attack all resulting in a flood of angry tweets, demands for apologies and support for Maeum. Many hoped for the woman in question to be away from the drama enjoying her break but they thought wrong.