DATING RUMORS HISTORY

Dating rumors for a kpop idol are inescapable. Unlike their western artist counterpart, dating makes or breaks an idol and their career (often times it results in a break). Breathing in another idol's way sparks rumors that end in fan wars and a divide between male and female idols. For Maeum it was no different, in fact, heighten due to her status in a male group. BigHit took precautions in affirming no relations between Maeum and the boys but not everything could be prevented and rumors spark eventually.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

2016

JACKSON WANG

JACKSON WANG

• Male/female friendships are a universal thing. No specific group of people is excluded from it and that involves the kpop community. Friendships between the opposite gender are common. What was not common during the time were open known friendships for the media to pick apart. For the fear of having one's reputation ruined, idols keep any sort of relationship under the table and away from the media's eyes.

• Jackson wang paid no attention to the media when he chose to befriend Ki Maeum.

• He was inspired, in awe of her choice to be part of a male-centered group. He was aware of the slander and criticism she faced simply because of her sex. It was why he didn't hesitate to jump in headfirst after he hangs out with Namjoon.

• He had no ill intentions or further intentions than befriending a girl who was often shunned by the media. He had no doubt the boys were her rock but he hoped to be another piece in her life that brought her joy in their harsh environment.

• Jackson succeeded. Despite their polarity, they worked well together. For Maeum he was a breath of fresh air from the boys she loved. He chipped at her many walls and brought out a sense of comfortability that only the boys could get from her.

• It was a well-deserved friendship and one Maeum was happy to receive. She believed nothing could ruin in but like a student in math class, she was wrong.

• The media has all sorts of (potentially illegal) ways to get information on idols. Following them around is a tactic often used. Most are clever enough to notice to see a camera pointed at them and dodge potential scandals but sometimes things fall into the cracks.

• An example of that was dispatch catching Maeum and Jackson entering an arcade And followed up with dinner.

• Sending the photos onto the internet send fandoms going wild. Support and hate were sent their way seconds after the release of the photos. People praised the pair for finding love and having no shame in announcing it but, on the other hand, many shunned Dispatch for an invasion of privacy. Hate was as well sent to both parties by possessive fans who were displeased by someone stealing their idol

• Both BigHit Entertainment and JYP entertainment were quick to resolve the issue releasing a statement of the two idols being friends and nothing more. The two later released photos of one another during their hangout to announce their developing friendship.