21

Coming home, Ria was surprised to see Nabila sitting in the hall with a smiling face. She was chatting with her in-laws.Seeing them entering the house, Binni came with two glasses of water. Koustav sat on the opposite sofa taking a glass from Binni. Ria took a seat beside Nabila.Binni left early for home.

"I'm here with my family this time,Ria. They want to meet your parents and Tuhin. They are here to finalise our engagement.", said Nabila softly. She held Ria's hand and added ," I want you there with me while both the families meet....Can you come to stay in your house for some days?".

Till now Koustav was looking towards the news on television, he turned his gaze towards Ria, hearing Nabila's words. Ria noticed an unknown emotion in his eyes. It was the mix of hope and some sort of fear.He kept looking towards her till she replied," Actually Titli, my sister-in- law is returning home tomorrow after getting discharged from hospital....she is ill....I won't be able to stay there but I'll definitely go and meet you in the afternoon and come back here at night. ". Hearing her, Nabila got a little relief.

Ria's eyes did not miss the slight smile from his side profile. Tuhin came afterwards to take Nabila home. Koustav went outside with him for a smoke. Ria wanted both of them to stay for Dinner, but Nabila refused saying her parents would worry, she left after  hugging her.

Koustav locked the main door after Tuhin and Nabila went home. His mother was placing the plates today. Ria had already come to the table with the dishes. All of them sat together to eat. Ria was telling her MIL about Titli's diet and medication. While she went to keep the dishes to the sink, Koustav started to fill two bottles. He kept one bottle in front of her, and started looking for any sweets in the refrigerator. She remembered her FIL had bought ice creams....she told him to bring that out from the freezer.

Koustav watched her the whole time how she took out two scoops of ice cream in a bowl, and added his favourite essence to it.

Koustav: Thank you! How did you know what I like to add in my ice cream?

Ria: Binni didi and your mother told me earlier.

Koustav: oh! Where is yours ?
He said pointing his own bowl.

Ria : I'm already full.Will you manage Titli while I go to meet Nabila tomorrow? Otherwise,Titli will definitely get sad as I promised to be here tomorrow.

He ended the bowl taking some time and looked at her face. The same emotion Ria noticed earlier were back in him....

Koustav: You are returning at night, right? She needs you. She cried those two days you were not here. I've an important work tomorrow so be ready for university on time tomorrow and call me tomorrow before your classes end,  I'll be there.

Nodding her head, Ria went to her room. Deciding the room to clean the next day, she slept.
_________________________________________

The next morning was quite busy for Ria.She was up earlier than usual. She had to clean the room and arrange her book shelf. Also she kept a saree for this afternoon on the chair.

Finally she got some time to read and check her notes. It was 9:30 while she checked the wall clock. She was super late. Wearing a casual kurti, she peeped from the upstairs, if Koustav was still home or not. He was not on the table. No one seemed to be home, she thought  they might have gone to hospital to bring Titli. Sighing a breath of relief, she came downstairs,with her bag and grabbed a packet of chips, she had no time in  hand to have lunch.

Closing the door behind her,she turned and found Koustav standing on the pavement and a cab waiting beside him. Seeing her, he opened the door and gestured her to enter the cab.

He climbed after she sat inside and the cab started instantly. Ria got shocked when Koustav instructed the driver the directions of her university. He was surely in a bad mood today and as usual silent.She tore open the packet and started munching the chips.

Suddenly the silence inside the cab broke with his deep voice, "Why are you so late today? I had an important thing to do today...I informed you last night to be on time......now I'm late...for you".

Ria felt insulted, the packet slipped from her hands scattering some of the chips, "Now.....you are clumsy too! Who eats chips as their breakfast? Why are you skipping foods daily? What do you want to prove?".

The cab reached in front of her university. Koustav was about to open the door , Ria got out of the car opening her side of door. She looked back towards him saying, "I did not tell you to drop me or pick me up ever.....if you were running late, you could have left already....I am capable to handle myself...."and threw the packet to a nearby dustbin and entered her university in hurry.

She was thankful ,she wore glasses, they were always helpful in hiding tears. Wiping them,she ran towards her class.

Koustav went to his way. His mood was off, october was coming.....the month of her death. He almost had forgotten the dates,until this morning, the death certificate came in his hands while searching some documents for an important meeting. His inside was shattered again. He used to do many things in these last 3 years, on that day.

His meeting did not get cancelled, as the clients reached late themselves. He was successful  in dealing with them. Around 3:15 pm, he was having a coffee standing on the balcony of the office seeing the busy cityline.

In the starting, it felt she died yesterday, the nightmares were regular to engulf his left over sanity. But 3 years passed, now he had grown a habit of Ria, he almost  had forgotten 'the date'. But it felt odd to him when he got no sms from Ria. He tried calling him,but no response came.

_________________________________________

The lectures were much needed for Ria.  She was able to concentrate on her studies, after many days.... She was busy in library while Romy came and suggested to bunk the rest of the classes. Ria's mood was off,she declined and started making notes for exams.It was Saturday, she was hoping that these notes might help her in digesting some more topics.

She came outside the campus around 4 pm. Her stomach was growling. Romy was not there today, she went to meet Nabila. Ria walked towards the tea stall,and asked for a cup of tea. A car honked behind her. She was already having a headache, now the honking irritated her more. She stubbornly stood there sipping the tea. The car honked once more, she turned.....Koustav was inside a cab,waiting and opened the door from inside seeing her turning towards him. Ria threw the cup and climbed the cab. Koustav was starting to say something, she gestured him to stop and sat on her seat comfortablly looking outside.

The cab arrived in front of his house. Before entering the house,Koustav said," You did not leave any sms today!"

"You don't have to drop and pick up me anymore!" ,came her reply.

" I have some things to say....wait where are you going?",Koustav said walking behind Ria. She grabbed a plate after washing her hands, served some lunch for herself, his eyes followed her the whole time. She gave her no attention. " I have something to tell you"

She looked up from her plate, "If it can wait till tonight, I'll listen to you."and ended her food before going upstairs to meet Titli. Koustav sat there alone.

_________________________________________

Hey lovelies!! Thanks for being here. DO VOTE,COMMENT AND SHARE if you like this book....and voice your suggestion regarding this chapter....stay safe...be happy....take care....♥️♥️♥️♥️