Chapter Two

Tender roast duck glazed with honey—accompanied by a variety of roast vegetables, sliced beans and peas—made up the main course of the meal that evening.

Sabin joined Luke, Konrad, Moritz —the Proburg Prince's personal friend and bodyguard— and two dozen other men, to eat this dinner, which Jobyna had helped prepare. Scrumptious desserts were served. Jobyna had ordered her brother's favorites.

The knight Ruskin, and his wife Sabra also dined with the visitors. Luke had commissioned Ruskin to accompany Jobyna to Chanoine as her protector. Other knights and soldiers were stationed in and around the manor house and village as extra security though commanded to be unobtrusive. Jobyna had been surrounded by guards from the time she had been captured by Elliad's men until she returned to Frencolia and Luke wanted her to feel free now.

With reaffirmed news of the incentive of the reward of two thousand gold pieces, Prince Konrad had expressed his concern that some of Elliad's soldiers would be prepared to journey from Chezkovia to Frencolia to recapture Jobyna. Luke could not discount this possibility and the thought had become more disconcerting over the past week with reports of numbers of strangers arriving in Frencolia. All the well-known border passes into Frencolia were monitored and lists compiled of those who moved in and out of the country, their purpose for entry and exit also being recorded.

Luke had no intention of upsetting Jobyna or causing her to be fearful, but with his uncle's advice, he had ridden here today to hasten her return to the safety of Kings Castle. Travelers, arriving to buy the prized Frencolian lambs wool could well be enemies in disguise.

"We need you at court, Little Sister," Luke told Jobyna seriously. "We're to be visited by kings, queens and princes from other countries. It's been decided that chief dignitaries from the countries to which we sent the contract against Elliad will meet in Frencberg to decide the matter once and for all."

Jobyna was silent, so the young king continued, "I need you to stand by me to greet these royal people when they arrive."

"Who is coming?" the princess asked with interest.

Luke extracted a piece of paper from his jacket and read, "From Strasland, Their Royal Highness' King Willem and Queen Anstice..."

Jobyna drew a deep breath, remembering Ellice, the young woman Elliad had kidnapped, branded and rendered a slave; she had been stolen from Strasland. She closed her eyes, wondering how Ellice was faring, a slave-prisoner in Chezkovia.

Luke continued, "From Zealavia, Crown Prince Dietrick, the eldest son of King Dionysus. From Bavarest, His Supreme Highness King Jarvis, and son, Crown Prince Haroun. From Danzerg, Their Majesties King Thurlow and Queen Saline. From Chezkovia, His Imperial Highness Czarevitch Kenrik, whom you've met, Jobyna, accompanied by Doctor Sleven from Proburg; Crown Prince Gustav who is Konrad's oldest brother; and from Muldaver, a representative named Lord Stansfield will be ambassador for the king and country."

Jobyna was trying to take it all in. "What about Reideaux?" she asked.

Looking across the table at Konrad, Luke explained, "King Kelsey has requested Prince Konrad, although from Proburg, to represent him and he's sending two of his knights who are known by Konrad, to be with us. So you can see, Little Sister, with all these visitors, I need you. Minette will need help with the arrangements for the womenfolk. Each country will be sending their entourage and all will bring members of their courts, plus servants and militia."

"Are all these people coming to discuss Elliad and his pretense as Czar of Chezkovia?" Jobyna asked, amazed at the thought.

"Not entirely. We've asked that the alliance matter of the kingdoms be discussed. But then, apart from Muldaver and Proburg, every other country has been plundered and raided by Elliad. And there's no doubt that we must be prepared for him to utilize the many thousands of troops he now has at his command."