Twenty-Four

As Elliad had predicted, the soldiers had been apprehended, triumphantly presenting the note.

Troops of every color uniform encircled the two scoundrels.

The leaders had cursed themselves for falling into such a trap.

Elliad's soldiers were held while their captors conferred out of earshot. Whatever they decided, they would lose ground. To let the soldiers ride back, gave Elliad the information he sought; but to take them into custody might mean the keeper of the Baltic Castle would carry out his dire threat and the very events they were trying to avoid would be history. What a mistake!

With extreme reluctance, they decided less would be lost to send the soldiers back to the castle, it just made the fact clear to Elliad the keeper that he was now being kept.

~~~~~

Jobyna was tempted to run and hide in the garden among the shrubs and statues, but the sound of the soldiers following behind made her realize how impossible this would be.

She glanced back and saw they were a long distance behind, jabbering away to each other in German. As she rounded a corner, she almost followed her instinct to run and hide.

Her dry throat spoke of the great thirst she felt. Filled with a dread against stirring Elliad's anger, she climbed the steps and obediently walked around towards the kitchens and the 'cottage' apartment, which she remembered with a small sense of comfort.

Sleven and Brenna had been good to her and had treated her with love and care, like a daughter. She remembered the times they sat around the fireplace, reading from the Gospel Book and sampling the goodies Jobyna had baked in the castle kitchens.

Two soldiers stood by the door and she recognized their faces though she had never known their names.

They bowed to her and one of them said, "It's good to have you back, Princess Jobyna." He took a bunch of keys from his belt and unlocked the door, holding it open for her to enter.

Trembling at the sound of the door being locked behind her, Jobyna said aloud, "I'm a prisoner here! I should have hidden in the garden."

Suddenly Ellice was hugging her and weeping.

Jobyna told the slave-girl, "You're the first person here that I'm truly happy to see." She hugged Ellice close, looking past her to see the wooden bathtub filled with steamy fragrant water.

Her gaze fell on the table where jugs and goblets sat waiting. Examining the contents, she chose the fruit juice. Ellice took the goblet from her hand, then the jug, pouring the juice.

Jobyna drank thirstily and held the goblet for more. As she sipped the second, her eyes strayed around the room.

A dazzling pink satin dress lay on the couch with the diamond tiara Elliad had given her in Frencolia placed upon it. Then she saw a burgundy tunic covered with exquisite embroidery and gleaming jewels, beside which sat the heavy dome-shaped Chezkovian crown with its jeweled pattern atop a solid gold orb.

Jobyna recognized the crown as the one worn by Elliad when he sat in the Oval Crown Room on the throne of Chezkovia. Almost choking on the juice, Jobyna spun around to stare at the locked door, half expecting her captor to burst in.

He will be coming, not just for his crown, but for me, she thought, horrified.

Scarcely considering what she was doing, certainly not the consequences, she removed everything off the table, upended it and motioned Ellice to help her carry the solid piece of furniture to the door. The table, on its side with the top at an angle under the door handle, would prevent anyone from entering.