Chapter Twenty-Eight

Tens of thousands of Chezkovian soldiers standing behind their captains and constables snapped to attention on one side of the road.

The several thousand Frencolian soldiers stood the other side; in front of them were their captains and knights. Behind the Frencolians stood soldiers from Proburg, Reideaux, Danzerg, Bavarest, Zealavia and Strasland. The surrounding countryside was a variety of colors, a great kaleidoscope.

Facts had been laid before the Chezkovian cavalry. The most welcome news was the czarevitch's slaying of Elliad; next, that King Konrad of Reideaux and Princess Jobyna of Frencolia both had a part in the taking of the Baltic Castle and retrieving the czar's crown.

The men of the Chezkovian cavalry were exultant that Kenrik was alive and unhurt!

Both Proburg and Reideaux were extremely upset about King Konrad's condition, and all were concerned to rescue the royal people who, though safe from Elliad, were still imprisoned by rebel guards holding the gates.

With embarrassed reluctance, Chezkovian constables, captains and soldiers accepted the facts about Elliad's father; many knew already but had avoided admitting the truth.

Indeed, there were still many covered secrets within the ranks of this huge army that would remain hidden for some time to come.

Constables and captains were ordered to investigate and quiz their ranks, sending home all who were not convinced to ensue for peace. Several hundred men rode away, towards Jydanski. Constables and captains were reassigned to accompany them and guard against unwelcome uprisings.

Prince Dorai and Luke watched as the sun began to sink in the sky; they wished the differences could have been reconciled before dark as every minute was precious. They stood as one of the chief emirs called for order among all armies and that they all disarm and make gestures to one another for peace.

Thousands of swords were unsheathed and dropped to the ground. It was a somewhat threatening sound, echoing across the valley-plain. King Luke Chatelain and Emir Weikol together shouted, "Peace!" Shaking hands, they kissed each other's cheeks.

The incredible kaleidoscope moved this way and that as men shook hands, hugged and greeted one another. Laughter mingled with deep voices conversing filled the air.

Shrieks of dying men rose ominously above the sound of peace. The great majority was grieved to learn that several groups of Chezkovians had insubordinately turned their daggers to murder Frencolians, and in turn, the assassins were likewise taken care of at the orders of nearby Chezkovian emirs and constables. Eighty-seven Chezkovians were slain and forty-nine Frencolians. 

Denouncements of the killings caused men everywhere to grow silent. A reverse whirlpool, the kaleidoscope moved backwards; men sheathed their swords and returned to their ranks.

Kenrik heard the magnified outcry begin as he stood with Moritz, watching the Proburg men batter away at the gates; working under a make-shift mantelet, to guard against the weapons, arrows, spears, rocks and boiling tar raining from above.

The work ceased as the uproar surged to their ears. Kenrik was fearful that it was the sound of war. His fears were allayed when the two Proburg messengers arrived from inside the castle, having climbed the Baltic wall once more, bringing extra men and written messages of encouragement and peace.

The czarevitch sat on the wall by the stables. Leafing through the documents, he read about Provitt Klemens and absorbed the facts of Elliad's history.

He knew of the pretender's claims to Chezkovian citizenship but had believed the man had been boasting wishfully.

One day when all of this is over, I'll read about him and his historic visits to my czardom, he promised himself. The czarevitch remembered with shame, the parties he had organized, celebrating and drinking with Elliad, in jesting and frivolity. His father had treated the traitor like a brother. Kenrik looked up as Prince Gustovas, accompanied by guards from the dining room, approached.