Chapter Thirty-Five

Jobyna couldn't believe how wonderful it felt to be soaking in a warm bath, right up to her neck in the fragrant, steamy water.

She sighed and closed her eyes. Even her swollen knee, her sprained ankle and bruised arms felt relieved. She would have fallen asleep if it wasn't for Maia's constant questions and girlish chatter. Maia sat on the edge of the tub, pushing the foam around, explaining the sequence of events since her cousin had left the Baltic Castle dining hall on that foreboding morning just after dawn.

They had been resident at the palace for almost two weeks and Maia described the enshrinement of the late Czar Kievik on the previous day —"The streets were lined with thousands of people, I've never seen so many in all my life! They were weeping for Czar Kievik and at the same time cheering Kenrik." 

Maia stopped and sighed, trying to keep a mountain of foam on her palm, blowing the bubbles back into the bath. "It's been so hard for the czarevitch." She sounded grown-up, motherly. "I do wish you could've been there, Jobyna. He never stops asking about you! He's so sorry that you can't dine with him yet. He's eager for you to be at his coronation next week: he said something about a special arrangement..."

As though she spoke out of turn, Maia blushed and looked away. Jobyna questioned her cousin, but Maia became tight-lipped, causing the older girl a measure of apprehension. 

~~~~~

Doctor Ruprecht's assistant brought Jobyna a pair of crutches and encouraged her to use them. 

Luke was pleased to view her progress and enthusiastic when Ruprecht said she could go to the palace dining room for dinner tomorrow. 

Jobyna knew her brother enough to sense there was something he wished to discuss with her but was restraining himself. Again, she couldn't shake off her apprehension.

The view from the apartment was exquisite. Jobyna's eyes feasted on a man-made lake with fountains playing, encircled by graceful swans and ducks. Beautifully formed statues, colorful shrubs and flowers, all brought a sense of peace and wellbeing.

Jobyna had been visiting the library adjacent to their quarters and she enjoyed reading from the extensive selection in Frenc. All the books there were in her native tongue, making her wonder if they had been placed there just for her. 

Ellice and a servant named Thirza sat reading with the princess in the library. "It's time for me to have the bath prepared," Thirza said as she rose. "Come along in about half an hour, Princess. Ellice will make sure your gown is ready."

The day was cloudy and a little cooler, and as Ellice moved off, Jobyna took her book out on to the balcony, hoping to catch the warmth of the sun on her arms. The welcome orb came out and Jobyna soon became too hot. Shuffling back through the doors still sitting on the floor in the light, she moved behind the voluminous purple velvet drapes into the shade. Feeling sleepy, she closed her eyes. The door opened and she heard her uncle's voice.

"Just a few seconds' privacy, Son." Dorai's eyes circled the small room, "We simply must make a decision on this matter!"

Jobyna heard Luke's voice and was just about to reveal her presence when she heard her name...

"I still feel we should include Jobyna in our discussions, Uncle. She seems so much better..."

Jobyna's words froze in her throat.

"No, Son, we mustn't upset her. Doctor Ruprecht said she must be kept free from all anxiety. Besides, it's not for Jobyna to decide." Dorai sat on the couch while Jobyna recoiled, wanting to shrink while wondering whether to speak up —or not...