Chapter Twenty-One

The reply from Elliad had arrived early in the morning at Kelsey Castle.

When Prince Dorai reluctantly took it to Jobyna for her to read, her mind filled with doubts and fears. She could not believe she was so important to Elliad that he would release both Luke and Maia.

Her Uncle Dorai had read the communication with much hatred. He had no trust, no faith in such a bargain and he was worried sick about Konrad's plan. That his niece should become the captive of Elliad once more filled him with fear and pain. He wished there had been a different way to lure Elliad to Baltic Castle, but if she did not follow through now and go, he knew it would mean the loss of Luke and Maia and possibly the lives of other prisoners. If only he could believe that Konrad's plan would save them all. 

In his deep, relentless anxiety, Dorai longed, for the first time, that he could pray like Luke.

Prince Dorai did not show Jobyna the communication from Konrad but determined to tell her only the things Konrad had asked of him, and he would tell her right before she parted from him to go to Baltic Castle.

The letter had read: "Prince Dorai: I have commissioned a company of Proburg and Frencolian knights and soldiers to accompany you and Princess Jobyna to Walden Castle today. Further instructions will be waiting there. Proburg is now securely in the hands of those loyal to my Father. Elliad's men who were holding Landmari Castle have been dealt with in a permanent manner. Brian did not escape the sword. All men of questionable nature have been detained for interrogation. This great victory must draw our hearts to thank God. Do not tell Jobyna about the taking of the Landmari Castle. We are sure Elliad will not know about his loss of the Proburg throne. It will be better for Jobyna when Elliad questions her if he still believes his positions are secure. Jobyna must be told 'Konrad is fighting for Landmari and that casualties are heavy.' This she can tell Elliad, and truthfully say that she does not know more. Czarevitch Kenrik and Doctor Sleven will ride to Jydanski as soon as Elliad is secure in Baltic Castle. We already reviewed our task with Doctor Sleven who knows the Baltic Castle's every detail from the inside. I find it challenging, but conquerable. We'll begin preparations immediately after sunrise. Pray with us that we'll not be thwarted by the weather or the enemy. We'll seek to take Elliad first as we feel sure that his men will surrender once we have captured their leader. My kindest regards, Konrad."

~~~~~

Jobyna had spent the past days with Brenna and the women servants at Kelsey Castle, making white and cream tassels and sewing them on the sleeves of the Frencolian and Chezkovian soldiers' uniforms. Fabric was cut into ribbons long enough to tie around the upper part of a man's arm. Konrad had commanded that the tassel be worn as identification to show which men belonged to which side. Even in Proburg, some of the men had been fighting for Elliad, whom they believed to be the czar of Chezkovia. Such a confused state of affairs meant that soldiers were changing loyalties as they learned the truth. There was no telling which side a man in the red and white Chezkovian uniform would choose.

The Frencolian uniforms in Elliad's possession meant trouble for those loyal to Frencolia. Many men were eager to attach the identification band when they learned which side was winning.

The announcement of the discovery of Czar Kievik's body brought the greater section of the Chezkovian cavalry in line, loyal to Kenrik.

Elliad's men, escaping in the Chezkovian uniforms, striving to go to Baltic Castle for refuge with their leader, were apprehended along the way. Those who made it to the Baltic Castle Road were killed or captured. Prisoners were sent to Jydanski for questioning. In the twenty-four hours after Elliad arrived at the Baltic Castle, the highest toll of casualties was taken.

Elliad couldn't know that Landmari Castle had been regained by Proburg troops, or that the Proburg border was sealed off. The Bavarest border was also well secured and there was no escape west or south from Chezkovia.

Jobyna left after dawn from Walden Castle in Proburg, heading towards the Northeast border and Baltic Castle. A company of three hundred rode with her, the same number as the day before, and they arrived at the border two hours before noon. Just two miles of road lay ahead before Baltic Castle would be in view. Konrad had mapped out the route for Prince Dorai to take with Jobyna and the way had been carefully cleared of all troops.

Jobyna felt both surprised and sad that she hadn't seen Konrad. She asked Prince Dorai, "Isn't Konrad supposed to be here?" Her voice betrayed her disappointment. The horse she rode was unfamiliar and she was sure he sensed her feelings of trepidation.

Brownlea had been brought to the stables at Kelsey Castle, but Jobyna had refused to ride him any further for fear of losing him. She determined she would ride Brownlea when she journeyed home to Frencolia.

"Konrad has to take care of his men. Remember, I told you there have been many casualties in Proburg. Konrad fights for his father's throne." Dorai's agony was beginning to show in his voice.

"Is Konrad back in Proburg? I thought Konrad had a plan, Uncle? " Jobyna was disturbed, she now sensed her uncle had hidden fears.

"My dear Jobyna, it's better you don't know of any plans. Konrad wants you to be able to answer any questions Elliad asks, truthfully."

Jobyna and her uncle rode the rest of the way in silence.

The Proburg soldiers stayed behind before the formidable Baltic Castle loomed ahead of them. And not long after, the Frencolian contingent turned back. The sun was directly overhead and Jobyna felt hot and faint. Her cloak hood shaded the sun from her eyes but the thick wool felt unbearable. Several hundred yards from the gate, they waited. She pulled the cloak off, rolled it up and handed it to her uncle.

They could see movements of guards in the battlements and on the towers. Prince Dorai drew his horse close to Jobyna and they kissed one another, not speaking. The huge gates were opening and the grinding noise of chains could be heard, indicating the raising of a portcullis.

Jobyna rode the horse, walking him as slowly as she could, closer, closer. She saw horses in the barbican. Nearer and nearer she drew until she was within a few yards. Her heart in her mouth as her eyes searched for Luke. 

Horses began to walk out slowly and she saw a carriage behind the four animals. She drew her horse to a standstill. Luke sat on one of the horses close to the carriage.

Jobyna saw that her brother was gagged —a thick, tight piece of leather around his open mouth was visible. His hands were behind his back, and she guessed they were bound. When the carriage moved toward her, she urged her horse on a few steps. Her brother shook his head at her.

Jobyna did not expect him to agree with this exchange. Ignoring his negative reaction and his indecipherable grunts, she drew alongside him. Luke tried to push her horse away by kicking his foot at him. Peering up into the barbican, Jobyna felt relieved that there was no one hiding there.

"Luke, is Maia in the carriage?" Jobyna asked. Reaching over, she stretched her hand out, hoping to release his gag. Still shaking his head, he rocked so violently that his horse skittered, causing the one in front to pull forward.

The sound of her voice was the cue, it brought a response from the carriage. The doors flew open and four soldiers jumped out. Aware of trickery, Jobyna urged her horse forward a few paces so she might slap Luke's horse on the backside.

Jobyna screamed at the creatures, "Yah! Yah! Go! Go!" She pulled hard on her horse's reins, making him shy and whinny. Try as she might, she could not pull the horse around as the soldiers, all four, prevented her. The red and white clad soldiers grabbed at the reigns, at her horse's bridle, at the stirrups and at her. The commotion urged the four terrified horses to bolt, and at the same time, Prince Dorai, followed by the Frencolian company, began to gallop towards them.

Elliad's soldiers abandoned the escaping horses and carriage.

They rushed back to the gates, two of them dragging Jobyna. The other two pushed the gates closed, slamming the heavy bars in place. The portcullis crashed to the ground and Jobyna was pulled towards the second gates.