Chapter Thirty-Seven

Landmari Castle was, as Prince Gustovas had claimed in the past, a 'real castle'. Konrad led his Frencolian guests, including Lady Ellice, on a grand tour to every part of the huge edifice, proudly describing to Jobyna the places where he had romped as a young boy.

Luke and Jobyna gazed down from the battlements where Konrad, barely seven years old, swung on a thin rope and scared his mother almost into hysteria. The rope would not have supported the weight of another and had been far short of reaching the ground. By the time Prince Gustovas' attendants brought piles of mattresses, Konrad had climbed back up to the battlements where his tutor began to slap him mercilessly.

To escape the threatened punishment —torture and certain death— promised by his teacher, Konrad slid down the rope and dropped into the pile of mattresses. When the servants retrieved the young prince, his father lectured him before sending him to his room to be confined there for two long days.

Konrad had dabbled in rope climbing ever since, and at one time, when his parents were away, he tied ropes to every accessible beam, from one end of the castle to the other, allowing him to swing spectacularly at breath-taking speed from one floor to the next, across the largest areas.

Upon his parents' return, the poised young prince proudly presented a perilous performance of his precarious pastime. His punishment was great when Prince Gustovas commanded that every piece of rope in the castle be impounded and locked away from the primate princeling.

Jobyna and Luke laughed loudly at Konrad's descriptions of his escapades. Jobyna whispered in his ear, "I hope we have a son just like you; it will be such fun! You can hang rope all over Kelsey Castle and teach our son to climb properly from the start."

Konrad smiled at her, he was amazed that she verbalized such a delightful idea, "You are a wonderful woman and precious princess, Jobyna, my love," he whispered back. "I'm sure you will be a marvelous mother."

The throne room at Landmari Castle was of peculiar interest. The single throne graced the center of the round chamber, creatively chiseled from a raised round marble slab, which pivoted in any direction at the control of a lever on the throne itself. The throne was able to dominate every part of the room and Prince Gustovas could turn it to face any area he wished.

Konrad told Jobyna, "The throne is mostly kept stationery. The rotational effect was created to please some eccentric predecessor who had more wealth than sense." His voice slipped into an undertone as he said, "I discovered the throne to be an amusing whirling-around-ride when, as a young boy, not so long ago, I sneaked here secretly. It spins around at quite a speed."

Jobyna gasped at the thought, wearing an openly shocked expression, staring at the throne of Proburg, imagining a small boy with a mass of yellow curls, an angelic look upon his face —she was sure he had one— spinning round and round. She looked up at Konrad, to see if he were teasing her.

"You're just beginning to find out what I'm really like." He laughed, then said, "Don't tell Father —that is one he doesn't know about!"

The royal apartments, the children's quarters, the dining halls, the banquet rooms, the theatre, the ballroom, all these were of great interest.

Maia expressed her weariness and the tour group broke into two. Jobyna and Ellice with Luke being permanently shadowed by Kedar, walked behind Konrad and Moritz who showed them the military quarters, and the stables.

Jobyna exclaimed with happiness when her eyes fell upon Brownlea's shining coat. "You had him brought here! Oh, Brownlea, how I missed you." She kissed his nose and patted his neck.

Konrad took her hand, saying, "Come and look here." He took her to another stall, "This horse is for you. He's a gift from Father who asked me to present him to you now, on his behalf."