Chapter Thirty-Six

"Konrad is coming; Konrad is coming!" The horses' hooves seemed to be repeating these words to Jobyna.

She stood on the marble terrace in front of the great Jydanski Palace, waiting and watching. Luke supported her on one side and Uncle Dorai on the other.

Chezkovian soldiers on horseback rode under the huge archways, lining up in formation, holding their swords high in the air, forming a guard of honor for the monarch of Proburg, Prince Gustovas, and his son, the monarch of Reideaux, King Konrad. Czarevitch Kenrik stood with Maia on one side; Cynara, Ellice and Kedar at his other.

Maia wore an elaborate set of crown jewelry Kenrik had given her when their betrothal contract had been signed at the short ceremony the previous day. Kenrik had wasted no time in securing his future bride.

Soldiers in the brown uniforms of Proburg were now riding in, followed by the royal carriage from Landmari Castle and escorted by Reideaux guards.

Prince Gustovas stepped down first, followed by King Konrad. Jobyna saw his gaunt face and gasped involuntarily. Konrad wore his right arm in a sling. He was so thin, and his sun-tanned skin did not relieve the dark rings under his eyes. His eyes searched for one face and when the blue met the green, the wide smile breaking across his face transformed the weariness to joy.

"It's so good to see you, King Konrad." Jobyna gripped Luke's arm as she attempted a faltering curtsy.

After his official greeting of kissing the back of her hand and then each cheek, he rose to look into her face, saying, "You look so pale, my princess, you should have taken Doctor Sleven's advice, as I did, and recuperated while lying in the sun!"

Konrad bowed and spoke to Kenrik and Maia, "Congratulations to both of you."

"I'm sure you'll be making an announcement of your own very soon," Kenrik said to Konrad, "We'll be cousins, related by marriage." He laughed and sent a wink to Jobyna who blushed at the memory of her previous mistaken reasoning.

~~~~~

Ellice had been presented to King Willem of Strasland while he was resident at Jydanski. They had communicated at length before he returned home with his grandson, Grand Duke Louis. Ellice had written for King Willem, her real name, Celene, daughter of Baron Randall from the village of Ranard. The King of Strasland had informed her that Elliad and his men had wiped out the whole village of Ranard, including the manor house and he had left it to burn. The only survivors were a few women and children who had hidden in the woods. Ellice's father had been killed; her mother had died in childbirth some years ago. Ellice had suspected the loss of her home village as she had seen most of the carnage for herself. Elliad had brutally branded her at the same time he marked her father's horses, and he himself had rendered her mute then taken her to his castle at Valdemar in Frencolia. Her recovery from the trauma had been slow and Ellice had wanted only to die. After Elliad claimed the Frencolian throne, Ellice had been transferred to Kings Castle and had worked as a slave for Elliad's mistress, Ranee.

Luke told Jobyna that was as much as Ellice wished to reveal, except that her life had seemed meaningless until she met Jobyna.

King Willem invited 'Celene Randall' to return to Strasland with him and he promised her a position in his palace; or she would be free to seek out relatives and live with them if she wished. Luke, in turn, offered her a place in Frencberg at Kings Castle as a lady-in-waiting to his sister.