Chapter Fourteen

A little over a week after Prince Dorai left for Reideaux, a messenger arrived, mid-morning, from the eastern border. Chezkovian soldiers had delivered a small package to the border guards, addressed to: 'Princess Jobyna, First Princess of the Kingdom of Frencolia, care of Prince Dorai, Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Frencolia'. It was from the Czar of Chezkovia and was sealed with the Imperial Czardom Seal.

When Ruskin was given the package, he broke the seal without hesitation. Reading the letter twice, he sat staring at the object, which he'd unwrapped from black velvet cloth. Some minutes moved away before the knight managed to pull himself together.

Lord Farey was summoned, also the older counselors and senior knights who had remained in Frencberg. After much deliberation, they decided to show Princess Jobyna before dispatching the package to Prince Dorai in Reideaux.

Jobyna took the letter with trembling hands and read:

'My dear Princess Jobyna; I find myself in possession of your brother, Luke Chatelain, but would much rather it was you. My anger was stirred greatly by your unscheduled departure from Chezkovia. I am prepared to pardon you if you return to me in exchange for the life of your brother. Frencolia will have its king and I will have my treasure. One week is all I will wait for your reply which must be from your own hand.' The note was signed, simply, 'John'.

With trembling hands, Ruskin placed the remains of the seal to the kingdom of Frencolia in front of Jobyna. The jewels had been pried out, and the K.F. on the face was barely legible. The gold chain had been removed. Jobyna was horrified at this proof that Luke was indeed in Elliad's hands. She saw her distress mirrored in Ruskin's eyes and knew he also remembered the time she had come to his house with a sketch she had made of the lost seal. Here it was, now, the seal to the kingdom of Frencolia, ruined, defaced, destroyed.

Ruskin finally spoke, "We have here, in this communication, proof that the czar in Chezkovia is a fraud. If only we could take this to those who matter in the Chezkovian Council. But a miracle would have to be performed before any communication would get past Elliad's men."

He told the tearful princess, "A company is ready to leave to carry the letter and seal remains to Prince Dorai at Kelsey Castle."

"How do you know my uncle will not want me to obey the request of the letter? We're dealing with my brother's life here, Ruskin; the life of the king of Frencolia!" Jobyna looked into Ruskin's eyes and as he stared back in silence, she continued, "It will take a whole day to reach Kelsey Castle if horses are changed and no stops made, then time will be needed to consider the plan of action and if I'm to write a letter to Elliad... but if you do not take me, then..." her voice trailed off and she bowed her head. The point was well made.

Ruskin asked her to wait in the foyer while he conferred with Lord Farey and the other men.

It was just minutes later that he called her back and Ruskin said, "Have Princess Minette and the servants help you prepare to leave for Reideaux."

The young Aunt was extremely upset to see Jobyna packing and explaining she was leaving for Reideaux. Minette rushed to appeal to Ruskin. She knew what Dorai, her husband, had ordered before he left: "The Princess, Jobyna, must remain in the confines of the castle walls!"

Ruskin reopened Elliad's letter, allowing Minette time to read it and absorb the dire warning of the contents. Minette sat and put her head in her hands.

Trembling, and weeping, she said, "I'm sorry; I'm so sorry. I wish I'd never heard the name 'Elliad'! How can I bear this? He would take away all those we love. Hasn't he done enough already?"

Jobyna arrived in the courtyard dressed in the Proburg soldier's uniform she had worn when she had escaped back to Frencolia. Her braids were tucked under the bearskin hat and she looked like a very handsome young soldier. "I saved this as a keepsake," she said to Ruskin, "it would be better, and easier, to travel like this, I think, than as a princess."