Chapter Twenty

King Konrad, with his men hidden strategically along the roadside to Baltic Castle, had considered attacking the company of soldiers when they passed by, late in the afternoon. Thirty soldiers only were counted. Against Moritz's will, Konrad held the men back.

Within fifteen minutes, a larger group —over two thousand of Elliad's knights and soldiers rode by, with a vehicle recognized as Czar Kievik's imperial carriage in the midst. This is what Konrad had been waiting for. Again, Moritz would have attacked, but Konrad warned him that they were grossly outnumbered and even if Elliad was killed, this would not save the prisoners in Baltic Castle.

"If Elliad does not arrive at the castle as planned, his men will likely panic and cause the massacre of the captives. I pray I'm making the right decision. Prince Dorai warned me of Elliad's craft with the sword, that it could take several men of great skill to take him. If we attack and Elliad manages to gain the safety of Baltic Castle, there's no knowing what the enraged maniac will do next. No, we must have the patience to hold back and follow through with our plans."

The front half of the military lined up on both sides of the road, outside the first gate and the czar's carriage entered beneath the portcullis, continuing on toward the next gate. Over three-quarters of the rear cavalcade turned back, returning along the Baltic Road, followed by the rest. After a small contingent of military entered beneath the raised portcullis, it was lowered and its gates closed and secured. 

Konrad felt like giving a loud cheer! He met Moritz' eyes and knew he now had his friend's approval. Moritz had felt sure they would have had the whole two thousand to contend with when they entered the castle.

When all in the returning company were out of sight, Konrad and his men retraced their movements to rendezvous with their hidden troops. Kenrik was with them, having been physically restrained from making a suicidal attempt on Elliad's life. Konrad motioned his troops to take up their unseen positions, ready to capture any person who left through the gates of the Baltic Castle.

The young king issued the command, "Anyone moving on the Baltic Road is to be taken prisoner but all captures must be made out of view of the top battlements of the castle tower as well as those on the five gates."

Konrad had seen the letter from Elliad to Jobyna and knew there would be no more negotiations. Elliad expected Jobyna to turn up at noon tomorrow. She would now be traveling to Walden Castle in Proburg to be on hand the following day for the noon deadline of the exchange.

Konrad had reluctantly dispatched the letter from Elliad to Prince Dorai, together with a note from himself. Messengers brought word that Elliad's troops, returning from Baltic Castle had divided, half had crossed the border into Proburg and the other half were riding to Jydanski. Again, this was a victory, which proved that Elliad believed he was in control of Proburg. Both groups would be apprehended within hours.

~~~~~

Czarevitch Kenrik rode with Moritz, Doctor Sleven, and his loyal Chezkovian troops to the Jydanski capital where they were met by several thousand men; emirs, constables, captains and soldiers; all part of the larger Chezkovian cavalry. When Kenrik heard their findings, brought to him by a man called Valerian, who, unbeknown to Elliad, had recently escaped from the palace dungeons, the elder son of the czar began to feel he would be vindicated.

The supposed body of Elliad John Pruwitt had been dug up from its crude grave. There was difficulty in ascertaining whether or not the remains belong to the said traitor. The second difficulty would be to discover what had happened to Czar Kievik. Many of the emirs believed he was still alive and was a prisoner somewhere in the palace.