Chapter Twenty-Six

Dragged carelessly down through the gardens, Jobyna stumbled breathlessly along the uneven walkways, down the countless steps, descending towards the courtyard.

Twice she fell, and the irate soldier unsympathetically dragged on the cord until she stood again, pulling her, forcing her to resume the trek.

"I'd much rather be back in the castle," he muttered, "winning the battle!"

Konrad was carried ahead, one soldier supporting his upper body from under the armpits and the other walking in front, carrying his legs.

By the time they descended the last steps, Jobyna was limping and panting painfully. Her weak knee throbbed from the numerous falls. Grey cobblestones merged with high walls and Jobyna would have fallen again, but a captain, waiting beside one of the carriages, caught and steadied her.

Memories from the past, of hardships this princess had suffered —the sight of her soiled, bloodstained dress, and the anguish apparent on her face —made his blood boil. He remembered the kindness Jobyna had shown to the children of her enemies whilst she had been in captivity at Baltic Castle and hadn't she baked biscuits for the soldiers as well? He followed the merciless soldier to the royal carriage.

When Jobyna was unceremoniously seized and thrust roughly backwards into the vehicle, he was no longer able to control his ire!

"How dare you treat the Princess like that! What will the czar say when he sees her?"

"He's seen her. He ordered us to bring these two here!" The soldier replied, tying the door shut.

Turning and saluting to his superior, he explained, "The bloody battle in the castle is her fault —Sir!"

"Then get back up there and fight, man!" the captain yelled at him. "You lot, too!" He shouted to the two who had locked Konrad in a plain black carriage.

"The rest of you, get up there!" He swung around, speaking to other soldiers who waited with the horses. Drawing their swords, they dashed off up the steps toward the castle.

Cutting the cord with his dagger, the captain opened the carriage door. Jobyna drew back from his extended dagger as he reached for her hands. He climbed on the step. Grasping the short piece of cord, he jerked her towards him and deftly released her. The inflexible cord had been so tightly knotted that it had cut the circulation to her hands.

The gruff captain rubbed the grooves on her wrists with his work-hardened fingers, massaging where the cruel cord had cut in.

Jobyna felt more numbness than just in her hands. She dared to voice her thoughts, and blurted, "King Konrad is in one of the carriages! He's badly hurt! Please help us escape!"

Dropping her hands in a sudden return to duty, the captain spoke regretfully, "I can't do that, Princess!" He stood back from the carriage, bowing, "I'm sorry for you." He reached to close the door.

"I am sorry for you!" she shot at him as the door slammed. Spying bolts on the inside, she shook her hands to restore the circulation, pushing the bolts in place before slumping back on the plush velvet seat.

"When Elliad comes, he'll have to break the doors down to get in here," she lamented. All she could think of was Konrad, his bleeding arm and his pain. Her sense of reality began floating away.

The clatter of running footsteps resounded on the stone and the clashing of swords compounded into a riot of screams and yells.

The captain cursed loudly as the invading men charged victoriously down the steps towards him. He rattled the door of the royal carriage, trying to open it because he knew the princess would provide an excellent shield and hostage. Finding his attempts unsuccessful, he swung around with his sword drawn, to face the advancing men.