Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ellice entered the dining room, timidly. A frightened, wide-eyed, wistful expression invaded her face.

She walked to Prince Gustovas, curtsied and motioned for him to follow her. The slave girl beckoned with the same actions to Kenrik, curtsying close to him, cautiously interrupting his writing. Jobyna stood, but Ellice shook her head and waved her hands at the princess.

"Something is wrong, Ellice?" Kenrik used the name Jobyna had given her, "You want us to go to the dungeons with you?" He turned to Jobyna, "No Princess, you stay here, I'll take care of Ellice." Kenrik collected his sword from the table, sheathed it and departed with Prince Gustovas and Ellice. Princess Rhaselle, Helena and Marianne stood in concern about the sudden departures.

Guards brought more food and fluids before carrying mattresses into the chamber. They explained that it was safer for everyone to sleep together in the dining room.

"A few of Elliad's soldiers and servants are still being sighted around the castle grounds and there's a possibility that such desperate men will attempt to take a hostage."

Jobyna shuddered at the thought, to be taken hostage now would be like the last straw. It had her worst nightmare to be in the clutches of an enemy. How helpless she had felt. Now she was free, but not really. Freedom was not the feeling she had in her heart and mind. She tried to discern what she felt. I don't feel free, I wish I felt free, really free —free inside me, she mused. And I wish I had the motivation to tell the children a story, but I feel uncoordinated in my thinking. The children all seem listless and tired, like me. Hopefully, sleep will come quickly for them tonight. I wish I could sleep now, I usually fall asleep easily...

Luke, I'll write to Luke...

Using Kenrik's quill, she gathered her thoughts and wrote a note to Luke. She must not let him sense how disoriented she felt! When her note was complete, Jobyna suggested that Maia write to her father. "It felt so good to find something positive to say," she told Maia.

The children were soon fast asleep, snuggled up in rugs on the comfortable feather mattresses. Jobyna went with Maia to the ladies' powder room and tried to sponge the stains off her arms and dress. The water served to spread the effect on her dress, making it look worse.

"I hope I can put on something decent before I meet Luke and your father," Jobyna said to Maia as she looked in the mirror.

Maia hugged her, "You look frightful! I thought you'd been hurt badly when you came in the door and fainted."

Konrad had been groaning often and Jobyna sat beside him, on the floor. Maia, seeking security in her cousin's nearness, curled up by Jobyna.

 Wall lamps flickered eerily and Jobyna imagined the place appeared to be what some kind of refugee camp would look like.

"Jobyna," Konrad called.

"I'm here." She sponged his forehead, noting how feverish he was now. Moaning and groaning, he slowly moved his hand to his chest, but his eyes remained closed.

Jobyna dragged two mattresses near to the pallet. As they settled down, Jobyna wondered how long it would be before Ellice returned.

The doors opened and Kenrik entered. He strode to Princess Rhaselle, Helena and Marianne, speaking to them in low whispers. They rose and followed him from the dining room.

In the early hours of the morning, Kenrik and Prince Gustovas returned to check on Konrad, noting that everyone in the room was asleep. They left, and Ellice entered the room, curling up on a couch not far from Jobyna.

Dawn had barely streaked the sky when Konrad called her name several times and Jobyna woke with a start, wondering where she was. Ellice was instantly by her side; a petrified look eclipsed her eyes. Jobyna held her arms out and they hugged. Ellice patted Jobyna's back and sobbed into her shoulder. Jobyna knew something was very wrong. Princess Rhaselle and the daughter-in-laws had not returned to the dining hall.

Konrad's brow felt cooler this morning. He muttered and complained in painful whimpers and undertones but his eyes remained closed. Ellice fetched fresh water and sponged his face, wetting his lips. Jobyna spooned tiny amounts of water into his mouth, pleased that he swallowed some, though the majority trickled out. Ellice sat beside him as well, mopping up the excess.

As he made a great effort to cooperate and swallow the liquid, Konrad's eyes flickered open now and again. When a goblet had been drained, and Ellice brought more and they persevered with this as well until it all disappeared.

Kenrik strode towards them; his boots echoing around the chamber. Crouching, he asked, "How is he?"

"I think he is a little better, Kenrik; he's taken in water and some juice; he can swallow. He's not as unconscious as before."

Kenrik squatted down, his face close to Jobyna's ear. "I hate to add to the terror of the day, but Prince Gustovas' sons, Gustav and Warford had been murdered in the dungeons. The two keepers committed suicide. Prince Gustovas and Mayer are with the women-folk in a separate room where we laid the bodies. They will have to come and tell the children... that... that their fathers are no longer with us..." He was silent and Jobyna could not speak.

Kenrik continued, "The Grand Duke Louis had been trussed and gagged, alone in his cell. We think he was being kept to be presented as a hostage. Louis is almost out of his mind with fright and anger. I told him we would all be rescued soon, but he demanded to leave this place now. We have had to restrain him by locking him in a chamber with two guards or we believe he will try to climb down the Baltic Wall.

"He is in need of good food and fluids and rest. Hopefully, when he sees his grandfather, he will think differently."

"How is the progress... on the gates?" Jobyna asked.

"We think our troops on the outside have gained another tower. There are just two to go. The causeways in between are the problem now, they're death-traps." He paused and, taking her hand, gave it a slight squeeze before kissing the back of it. "We hope to be out of here today, or no longer than tomorrow." Standing, the czarevitch rose and began turning away.

"Wait, please." Jobyna turned to Ellice, and asked, "Ellice, were there other clothes for me, in the cottage apartment?" The slave girl nodded and Jobyna spoke to Kenrik, "There was bath-water there and I'd like to go and wash, even if it is cold, and I must change from this..." she swept her hand in front of her dress, "I don't want Luke to see me like this..."

Konrad moaned and Jobyna spoke to the wide-eyed Maia, "Sit by him, Maia, please, and talk to him." Maia nodded, moving closer.

~~~~~

The door of the cottage apartment was off its hinges and the overturned table lay smashed in two. Kenrik commanded, "Wait out here!" With his sword drawn, he strode through the sitting room. Looking out the windows, he fastened the shutters, shooting the bolts. Opening the doors to the bedrooms he glanced around.

"I'll send a man from the gates to wait outside for you. You must go back to the dining room immediately you're finished."

"We will." Jobyna promised, adding, "And thank you, Kenrik."