Chapter Nineteen

Elliad, the keeper of Baltic Castle, sat in his office, celebrating, drinking copious amounts of his favorite wine. 

The letter from Jobyna lay in front of him and he gloated over it with a tremendous sense of victory. He wasn't at all bothered by her lack of warmth to him —it just served to make her all the more desirable.

What's a victory worth, he thought, if there's not a battle? It's strange, his twisted mind ran, how the gaining back of my treasure means more than all the riches in Chezkovia. I have power and wealth and yet it has not brought me the peace of mind or the security I expected. There's always more to strive for; more riches to attain; new borders to cross; people to use and crush in my path towards supremacy. But even in becoming imperial, I've found I still need more.

Elliad perused her flowery handwriting again —"Dear John,"—Jobyna's letter read—"I remember another time you gave me a choice and I showed you the way to the treasures of Frencolia. There's much more at stake today than gold and jewels. One can dispense with a necklace or even a crown, but human lives are irreplaceable. Therefore, I plead with you for the lives of all your captives. With all my heart, I beg you to reconsider and accept the ransoms that have been sent as you requested. I will make the exchange if you release my brother Luke, and my cousin Maia. I must see for myself that Luke and Maia are free from all likelihood of recapture before I come. Princess Jobyna Chatelain, Care of Kelsey Castle, Reideaux."

 Leaning back in his chair, his mind flew over several ideas he had shared with his four closest knights as to how he could keep all three, Luke, Maia and Jobyna. He had told them that Jobyna was of the highest priority, it was she, alone, who was of greatest importance to him. He told them he intended marrying her and because he himself had been unable to produce a child with any woman, including Terese, he would choose one of those three knights to father his child, but that as soon as Jobyna was 'with my child' she and the child would belong to him.

"Therefore," he had said, "we must do all we can to keep all three, but our focus will be upon Luke's sister, not him and not their cousin. I can do without them, but I cannot do without my treasure.

He divulged to them, something he had never told anyone; "My father could not produce children, so it is no surprise I haven't. However, one can only keep trying." He laughed then and together they had shared unmentionable jokes about mating. 

The copy of his reply letter read —"To Jobyna Chatelain— The exchange will be made on Friday at noon. I will release your brother Luke, and your cousin Maia. You are to be on the road outside Baltic Castle, on your own. Your brother will ride a horse in front of a carriage from the gate when you, alone, are in close view. Maia will be in the carriage. There will be no further bargaining." Signed, "Czar Kievik."

Elliad turned to other documents on his desk. Kenrik had agreed to his demands, stating that troops were returning to the czar's control. The ransom of two thousand gold pieces was enclosed in payment for the lives of Kedar and Cynara. The czarevitch begged the czar to spare the life of his brother Kedar.

The great deceiver had been successfully deceived and believed numerous false reports that Proburg was still in his control. Some of Brian's men had switched sides and swiftly conveyed false reports to Elliad's men across the Proburg border. However, a few reports seeped through that Brian had to remain in siege to keep control of Landmari Castle.

Elliad was pleased that Danzerg, Bavarest and Strasland had agreed to his demands in the counter-mandates. Two countries stated they would pay the one thousand gold pieces for each prisoner upon their release. Bavarest had sent five hundred gold pieces; the balance, they said, would exchange hands upon Crown Prince Haroun's release.

All of this success in the demands of his counter-mandates caused Elliad to feel confident enough to make the journey himself to Baltic Castle to be there when Jobyna arrived.

He intended to threaten Kenrik into surrendering himself, using Kedar and Cynara, but the impostor was still considering the details. So far, all was working for his good —so this great schemer believed. He was not certain whether he would release any or all of the prisoners as he believed his security was in the possession of his hostages. Unable to be trusted himself, he could not bring himself to accept that the kingdoms in question would not move in war against him if he turned his prisoners over to them. He had offered their lives for the ransom and so far, their lives would carry on. However, Elliad decided, "I will be the keeper of these lives!"

Oblivious to the military changes occurring both in Proburg and Jydanski, the keeper of Baltic Castle was not aware that he, in fact, was now a prisoner in his own fortress. He placed so much value upon his possession of the royal prisoners that he believed all around would bow to his demands. The keeper was now also being kept without him knowing it.