Chapter Three

"Your dress is soiled!" Minette scolded Doralin. Turning to Doralin's nursery-maid, the mother requested, "See if you can sponge it off, Beth."

Charles stood patiently awaiting his mother's inspection.

Minette straightened the lace collar of his shirt. "Now, remember the word slow. S. L. O. W. If you keep reminding yourself to read slowly, then all you say will be clear and people will hear you. You must not rattle it off like a bolting horse, thirty miles an hour."

"Yes, Mother," Charles said while his mother picked a piece of fluff off his lush green velvet jacket, "No, Mother. I'll try not to rattle."

Elissa giggled, "You don't rattle Charles, Father says you boil over."

Maia joined the conversation, "I wish Father could hear Charles read. It's not fair he has to be so busy."

"Now, now!" Minette cautioned, "Cousin Luke will be back tonight and Father will be less tied up. Maybe he can come with us next week when Charles reads again. Luke and Jobyna might both be able to come then too."

The young mother beckoned her children closer. She warned, "Listen up, all of you. You must stay together. You each have a special friend of your father's watching you, a minder, he called him. Remember?" Minette's light-brown eyes passed over each face, reassuring herself that they were listening and taking in what she was explaining. "These friends will make sure we all stay together. Elissa, if you wander off, I'll send you home." The big brown eyes of her five-year-old gazed seriously into Minette's probing stare.

The four children with their mother, Princess Minette, would proceed to the main square in Frencberg to listen as Charles read from the Gospel Book. He had practiced ten chapters from Proverbs, over and over for weeks. The Gospel Book was read throughout the day in the main square, from one hour after sunrise until one hour before sunset. Young men all over the city were encouraged to take part and Prince Dorai, though reluctant, had agreed for Charles to take a turn.

Great numbers moved through the market place to the square, which was already over-crowded. Minette's eyes surveyed the immediate surroundings, her eyes meeting those of the various knights 'minding' her children. She told herself to stop worrying and her eyes fixed on Charles as he stood on the platform. The reading began.

"Mother, may I stand by Constance?" Maia asked.

Minette turned to view Constance standing with her mother over by their shop frontage. "Yes, dear, but you must stay with her," Minette cautioned.

Constance's mother returned to the shop as a customer entered, and Constance whispered to Maia, telling her about her cat, Blossom, who had given birth to six kittens.

"I hope you can snatch a quick look at the little babies while Charles reads —I'd like you to have one when they're old enough. You can have first choice, Princess Maia."

Maia looked across the square. Charles would be a long time and she could be back well before he finished. Eager to view the kittens, Maia followed her friend down the alley beside the house-shop.

The sound of firm footsteps following reassured Maia that her father's friend —the minder— was close behind.

A cold, clammy hand slipped silently around Maia's face and a thick cloth slid over her mouth and nose as a black cloak fell between the princess and her friend.

Terrifying thoughts flew through Maia's mind. 

I should have stayed with Mother! —This one plaguing impression would haunt her for weeks.