Chapter Sixteen

Konrad sought Jobyna. The distraught king felt greatly refreshed to view her smile and the approval in her emerald-green eyes. He took her hand and they walked together up the castle stairs to the battlements.

Moritz trailed behind as they strolled along the rampart.

The sinking sun sent deepening shadows across the fields. Flapping flocks of birds flying to their nests formed changing patterns in the coloring sky. Shades of orange reflected off billowing gray clouds lighting the surrounding countryside with warmth and its golden illumination gave the appearance of fantasy.

Konrad unfolded the list for Jobyna to view, telling her about Kedar and she cried softly on his shoulder, trying hard not to imagine a child's hand being amputated.

"I have the formation of a plan in my mind, Jobyna, which will require your help, but I'm not sure if we can save Kedar."

Half to himself, and half to Moritz, he murmured in his native tongue, "It could already be too late for Kenrik's brother!" Then in Frenc again, "We must take the castle at Landmari. The castle itself will not be hard to take. Brian has been unable to secure all the entrances to the city. Father's men are still holding two wall towers; these give us access to the city. This is what Elliad is afraid of and is concerned about." He turned her face to look straight into his eyes. "From what you know of this Elliad, he would follow through with his threat regarding Kedar, wouldn't he?"

Jobyna nodded, her face full of fear. She then shook her head, trying to dispel the thought of Elliad beheading a mere child. The sun had disappeared and she shivered in the dimness of the twilight. The beauty all around was lost in chilling remembrance of Elliad's perverted satisfaction from torture and bloodshed.

Konrad continued, "We're certain that Kedar is a prisoner at Baltic Castle. Do you think Elliad might go there himself for Kedar's execution, or would he stay in Jydanski?"

"I'm not sure —he's so unpredictable. Then, he is usually present for executions, he instigates them, and displays of violence, he's usually there, making it happen. It's likely that he'll have Kedar sent to Jydanski as it's his usual practice to have the prisoner brought to him. He thinks it is stooping to go to his captive. He feels his power and authority vindicated by his presence at an execution. I shudder to think of it, Konrad. Can't the troops be held back to save Kedar?"

Konrad shook his head and said, "Kenrik knows we can't save Kedar. Elliad would fill Proburg with Chezkovian troops and then it wouldn't be long before he advanced on Reideaux, then Frencolia. We have the Proburg border between Chezkovia practically secure and I'm going to ride tonight to the border near the Baltic Castle to see if and when Elliad goes there in person. Kenrik will ride with me, and when we are sure Elliad is in the castle, we'll secure the exit road, from a safe distance..." The king looked up in surprise as Jobyna interjected...

"Why don't you work it out so that he thinks you're complying with his demands? Surely you could humor him, agree to do what he wants, make him think his advances into Proburg are successful, continue to keep his mind on the hostages instead of on the troops. You could send troops that you trust that would pretend to be loyal to him, after all, the man is insane, he obviously thinks the hostages are the key to it all. Perhaps the gold pieces should be sent. Kenrik should send two thousand for his brother and sister. Elliad would be exultant to receive such a sign of Kenrik's submission. Money gives him a feeling of power and invincibility." Jobyna blushed at her interruption and missed the look that Moritz and Konrad passed between them.

She had learned that Moritz could understand the spoken Frenc language but was unable to speak it accurately enough to be understood. She felt this way when she tried to speak German, she could understand it better than she could speak it.