Chapter Ten

Communications arrived from Proburg, written by the hands of the princes, Warford and Mayer, Konrad's brothers. The letters stated that their father, Gustovas, was enjoying his stay with Czar Kievik and was having 'a whale of a time, reminiscing over the past'.

A feast that would last more than a week was being enjoyed. Their mother was well and Gustav had decided not to bother with the conference. Elliad, the traitor, was indeed dead and Frencolia should get on with its own affairs. "Stop worrying about business belonging to other kingdoms!" The letter received by Warford and Mayer had been written in Prince Gustovas' own handwriting and was sealed with their father's royal seal ring.

"There seems nothing to arouse suspicion," Mayer wrote to Konrad and Kenrik.

The very fact that Mayer wrote this, about there being nothing to 'arouse suspicion', caused Konrad some anxiety. Their father was not one to be easily beguiled and surely he would know the real czar from the trickster Elliad.

The more Konrad deliberated about it, the less sense it made. He wanted to dismiss Chezkovia from his mind and forget about Elliad but he knew ignorance would not cause the problem to disappear. The new czar of Chezkovia was fooling everyone, and Konrad dared not think why his father, Gustovas, was supporting the charade... or... Konrad switched his mind off Chezkovia. He had enough to take care of right now!

One sunrise at a time, he reminded himself, remembering Luke's affirmation of this phrase.

Konrad sent a gift with Kenrik for Princess Jobyna, complete copies of all the known volumes of the Scriptures and he knew she would enjoy sharing the writings of Paul the Apostle with her brother Luke. Referring to a particular verse in the Book of Romans, he reminded Jobyna, "God is always in control in the lives of those who are His children."

He further wrote to her of his appointment and acceptance as king of Reideaux, asking her to seriously consider becoming his wife. Konrad did not write 'queen', knowing the title would most likely stir a negative reaction in her active mind. He remembered she disliked the title 'Princess' and he hoped the aversion to royal titles would not put her off him for good. He closed the letter with the words, "My love is yours, forever. Affectionately, your friend, Konrad."

~~~~~

Princess Jobyna stood beside Prince Dorai and Princess Minette at the base of the dais of the Frencolian throne when the herald announced, "His Imperial Highness, Czarevitch Kenrik, of Chezkovia."

Kenrik entered, followed by Doctor Sleven and two of his sons, Michael and Adolf. Jobyna's heart was glad to see the doctor again, this kind man who called her 'his daughter'. She could not believe how much grayer he was, how old he seemed, his face so lined and drawn.

The reading of the Book of Romans greatly thrilled Luke and he ordered his scribes to begin making copies of the new volume. The Book of Acts and Paul's writings had not been read before.

Jobyna and Luke together memorized the verse that Konrad had written in his letter, All things work together for good to those who love God, to them who are the called, according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

"ALL means ALL —not just the things that we choose— not just the circumstances that suit us. This means the bad as well as the good," Luke said to his sister. He added, "Let's memorize this verse so we can recall it whenever we need it."

~~~~~

The day of the conference arrived. Furniture in the large dining room of Kings Castle had been rearranged to cater for the seating requirements.