Chapter Thirty-Three

Frewin sat on the plush seat with his boots up on the velvet. Using his dagger to clean his fingernails, he wiped it now and then on the luxuriant upholstery.

"Are we permitted to talk?" Kenrik felt he would humor Frewin by asking.

"Be me guest." Frewin waved his dagger, interested to know what they would talk about. He was an expert eavesdropper and loved to listen to gossip.

"I'm told you ride a horse, Princess, is that true?" Kenrik began.

Jobyna thought, "He already knows that, I wonder where he's leading?" She maneuvered into a more comfortable position before replying, "Yes, I love riding. My horse's name is Brownlea."

Kenrik sighed longingly, "There is nothing like riding a horse! The freedom, the speed."

"Speed is the name of Luke's horse and he almost flies! Luke let me ride him just once. He's jealous of his horse." Jobyna sighed, thinking of her brother.

"When I was just a boy, I'd climb out of this carriage and walk along the step-way to the seat at the front. It's easy to do that. I hated riding in this carriage. I used to feel shut away, cooped up." Kenrik shrugged in disdain as his eyes traveled around the red walls.

"I don't mind," Jobyna said honestly. Catching Kenrik's disappointed stare, she added, deliberately, "But it's so stuffy! You, we, we smell of perspiration." She wrinkled her nose, inquiring, "What is the scenery like out there?"

Kenrik looked away, concealing a smile from Frewin, knowing she'd caught on.

The simple spy-man shifted uncomfortably in the seat, reaching to open the shutters.

"It isn't so good right now, but it is breathtaking soon. You can see the mountains on a clear day," Kenrik told her, watching as Frewin looked out at the passing hills.

"Ah! For some fresh country air!" Kenrik sighed again.

"I've never ridden in a royal carriage before. It is rather boring, compared to riding Brownlea." Jobyna issued an uncontrolled yawn, and spoke before it was completely exhaled, "I'm so tired, I think I'll sleep. Do you mind if I don't talk?" She leaned her cheek on the edge of the velvet seat.

Kenrik gave a head-shaking yawn, "I suppose we'll be here for hours! I didn't sleep last night. I might get some shut-eye, too."

Frewin tried to conceal a yawn.

The carriage was silent but for the whirl of the wheels, the gentle movement of the springs, and the drumming sound of the horses' hooves.

Frewin narrowed his eyes at his prisoners then tried to open the shutters to view the scenery. He 'humphed' and sat back for a while, asking himself why he should travel in a stuffy carriage when it was far better outside, up front.

Closing the shutters, he opened the door, hesitating as the ground flashed by his eyes.

Kenrik was tempted to kick him hard but Jobyna was partly in the way and he knew the men riding behind would see Frewin's fall. He needed more time, but not long...

Frewin shut the door again and Jobyna stirred, feigning a cough, spluttering and yawning all at once.

"It's so stuffy..." she said, her eyes still shut, she let her head slump forward.

Next time Frewin opened the door, he climbed on the step-way, closed the door and inched along to the seat at the front. He sat, and inhaled the fresh air, enjoying the view, glad he had thought of coming up front.

Bodmin drew his horse alongside the front of the carriage, yelling, "Hey! Frewin! I told you to stay back there!"

"It's stuffy —way too stuffy! I'd fall asleep!" Frewin shouted back, "'Sides, they're not goin' nowheres. Go back to yer watchin'. I'll check on 'em 'fore long."