Chapter Thirteen

Chezkovian Constables, Michael and Adolf, in their red and white uniforms, with four men in the Proburg brown and two wearing the dull blue of Reideaux, arrived at Kings Castle in Frencberg, escorted by Frencolian knights and soldiers. 

The Knight and his team on duty at the border castle north of Leroy had been horrified from hearing the news that their king had not arrived in Reideaux and that the Valdemar border castle was closed and under Chezkovian control. Troops were dispatched to investigate the matter from the Frencolian side.

Prince Dorai was dining with Minette, Jobyna, King Willem, Queen Anstice and some of the senior knights and their wives, when Sabin interrupted to inform them that foreign dignitaries waited in the reception room with urgent news and had requested Sir Dorai's immediate presence. Sabin added, "Prince Dorai is requested to come alone."

Walking with the crown prince out in the hall, Sabin told Dorai that these men had said the matter was of grave importance to the kingdom, one of life or death.

Jobyna didn't learn of her brother's disappearance until the next day. Her uncle had not returned to finish the meal with them, and all lords and senior knights in Frencberg available had been called to an urgent meeting. 

During the night, the news came through from exhausted riders that the Valdemar border castle was indeed in a state of siege and was in the hands of men from Chezkovia! Prince Dorai found it difficult to believe this was possible! How could Elliad's men have gained control of a border castle? The border castles were impregnable! Days of ramming would be required to batter a hole in the walls and could cost hundreds of lives.

Dorai worried whether Luke was being held prisoner there; but he suspected his nephew had been conveyed elsewhere. The Prince hoped for a message; a ransom demand, perhaps. However, he hadn't received an acknowledgement or ransom demand, regarding Maia's abduction, so there was no knowing if they would send information about Luke. 

Spending the evening planning the mobilization of troops, Dorai consigned extra soldiers to make sure the Leroy border castle was kept open and free to be traversed, for if this fortress were captured then the two northern routes out of the country would be rendered immobile and ineffective by the enemy who appeared to be one step ahead of them all the way!

Eva, Minette's servant, woke Jobyna before dawn. She told the sleepy princess, "Prince Dorai requests that you have an early breakfast with him." When Jobyna had dressed, she found Minette waiting for her. They walked in silence, both wondering what the bad news from the previous night had been.

The Prince paced while waiting in the small breakfast room, his hands clasped characteristically behind his back. He kissed Minette tenderly, turning to Jobyna, and holding her close to him. With an arm around each of their shoulders, he said, "Sit, eat some breakfast, then I will talk."

Jobyna couldn't eat. Her uncle's countenance was so grim; the young princess thought he seemed more distressed than when Maia had been abducted. Dorai had always been so strong, so composed, determined and brave. This morning he appeared drawn and afraid, and Jobyna tried to fathom the depths of the fear she saw in his eyes.

As though his niece's scrutiny was painful, the uncle would not meet her eyes, but looked at her hair or at the wall behind. The adjective, 'defeated' caused Jobyna to drop the bread roll and sit back to wait for his promised 'talk'. Prince Dorai, not eating either and catching his niece's expression, stood to pace again, slowly, moving from the table to the window, standing for some moments before returning.

"It's very bad, isn't it Uncle?" she asked him.

"Yes, Jobyna. Very bad," he replied, "I wish I could make it easier for all of us, but the longer I leave it, the harder it's becoming for me to find the words. I have to leave this morning, within the hour, for Reideaux." He paused while Minette drew a loud, resigned breath.