Chapter Eight

The days following Maia's disappearance were full of upheavals for all at Kings Castle in Frencberg.

King Luke and Prince Dorai, upon consultation with their counselors, dispatched messages to the outlying kingdoms informing them of the kidnapping of Princess Maia and warning them against sending their royal dignitaries due to the danger and uncertainty existing.

The conference would go ahead as planned and representatives from the different kingdoms would be most welcome to attend, but choice of the ambassadors attending was to be at the discretion of each individual kingdom's council.

Replies arrived intermittently. The king and queen from Strasland would still attend. The crown prince from Zealavia planned to visit in person, but representatives only would be commissioned from Bavarest, Danzerg and Muldaver.

The next week, a reply arrived from Proburg stating Prince Gustav would travel with Czarevitch Kenrik and Doctor Sleven, to represent Proburg and Chezkovia. This communication was sent just a few days before Prince Gustovas departed for Jydanski.

An urgent summons arrived from Reideaux for Konrad.

Luke noticed the perplexed expression shadowing his companion's face as he read the communication.

While the two young men walked from the royal suite where Konrad occupied a guest room within Luke's apartment, Konrad confided in his friend, "King Kelsey has fallen seriously ill and his doctors have requested my presence with him immediately. He has no family and we've grown very close. I must leave today, Luke."

The prince slowed his pace, saying, "There's one matter I'd like to take care of before I leave, Luke. I would like you and your uncle to consider granting to me, the hand of your sister, Princess Jobyna, in marriage."

Ignoring Luke's surprise, Konrad continued seriously, "I was going to leave it until all this unpleasantness was over, but I don't know how long I'll be detained in Reideaux. I'll request that King Kelsey send an ambassador for the conference in case I don't return in time to represent him. There'll be the matter of the dowry to consider and the length of our betrothal but we can discuss that sometime in the future. I'm very much in love with your sister; she's the most wonderful woman on earth to me, and I hope, Luke, you'll allow me the honor to take care of her as her husband."

They had stopped walking and Luke leaned on the castle wall as he listened to Konrad's earnest confession, "I loved Jobyna from the first moment I set my eyes upon her."

"I've noticed your attention to my sister." Luke smiled at this 'would-be' suitor. The idea; his precious sister... marrying Prince Konrad... it was very pleasing.

Luke spoke as in confidence, "Jobyna needs a husband like you, Konrad. Uncle Dorai and I are her sworn protectors and we would continue this protection even after she marries. However, our father promised us, when we were young, that we would not be betrothed by our parents, but they would guide us to choose suitable partners. They didn't like the current ideas of young people being victims of missed-match-making to suit the ends of those using the dowry for their own gain."

Luke was thinking out loud, "But things are different now for Jobyna and me, and you, Konrad, no one could be more perfect for Jobyna. I must speak with Uncle Dor first. I'll go now while you gather your men to make preparations for your departure. I'll miss you, Konrad of Proburg."

Prince Dorai gave hearty approval to Konrad's offer and he urged Luke to settle the matter before Konrad departed. Luke, however, was not willing to make the decision final without speaking to Jobyna. "I can't tell my sister, 'You are betrothed'. She must be involved in the decision."