Death-anniversary, depressing birthday celebrations and ice cream with war's kid

It's been a month since the last chapter

Steve: The kid hasn't changed too much. he's eating more, slowly getting into food again. we realised soon enough that he left hints and revealed a lot when he talked. He let out that he gets bad nights, then leaves it at that. Percy has mentioned having trouble with lifts, losing a few friends in some accident, having some bad experiences. He went to this summer camp since he was 12.

We watched his moves a lot. I could tell he was beginning to get annoyed with it. we left him alone when he wanted to be left alone but let the AI observe him. There would be some days he just wouldn't say a word and there was nothing to do about it. he'd stay locked in his room and look at books or photos, eat less than other days. On his good days, Percy would talk witty remarks, crack jokes and hang out more often.

Once, Percy was sitting on the sofa early in the morning, he was eating cookies. We thought nothing of it until Clint sat beside him and noticed they were blue. By the kitchen were a plate of them too. We asked him about it, and he said he woke up early and decided to make them. they're actually really tasty.

Over time, we had come to know Percy pretty well. Or so we thought.

***

It was on August 18th. I woke up at 5 am, then went to the kitchen to get breakfast before my run. I stopped when I saw Percy sitting on his own. He looked lost in thought, eyes fixed on the floor. His face was red, from crying. Tears still roamed down his cheek as I approached him slowly.

"Perce? What's wrong?" I whispered. His head snapped up with startled eyes. Percy tensed immensely and wiped his face with stiff hands, not responding but hiding his face from me. I came closer. "Did - did you have a bad night?" Percy wouldn't look at me. his knees were up to his chin but not quite touching.

"Percy, talk to me. Can I do anything?" He flinched when I sat beside him. "Should I wake up Bruce? Or Clint?" he didn't respond, just looked further down. "I'm going to get them, okay? Just stay here." Once again, Percy didn't respond.

What could'vehappened? I thought while I went to get the otherAvengers.

Percy:

I hate my birthday, I truly do. I have nobody to celebrate it with. Two of my friends are missing and the rest are either dead or at the place I snuck out of and haven't been to in a month. It's also the anniversary of many, many, many deaths and war.

I woke up crying, then sobbing. I went out of my room, not being able to stand it there anymore and stayed on the sofa crying silently. Steve came in and I hadn't noticed until he spoke. I wiped my tears and refused to meet his eyes. I couldn't hear him properly; I was still thinking about them too much. He went away, I vaguely heard him mention Clint and Bruce, but the words didn't mean anything to me. one hand loosely hung out my legs while I stared at the floor in sadness. The year had gone so fast. I'm 17, I've survived 17 years of being a half-blood. I survived 17 years of being the god's pawn.

I sensed people enter. The other avengers, I realised quickly. I couldn't look at them. my hand shook a little, but I barely noticed it.

"Percy?" Bruce crouched in front of me, forcing me to look at him. I tried to find another place for my eyes to look at but couldn't. they were on the verge of tears, but I held them back. Steve whispered something that I barely understood. I suddenly felt the weight on my right side and tried to figure out who it was without looking.

"Buddy? Can you tell us what's happened?" I recognised Clint's voice. Besides, he's the only one who called me buddy or bud. I couldn't, I could never tell them. why do they want to know anyway? Why would Steve wake them all up just because of me? Why would they bother getting up so early for someone they barely know? Weight was evened out on my left where someone else sat down, someone lighter than the others. A girl? Natasha then.