11. Bethan

I finished applying the concealer in the mirror to my puffy eyes, doing my best to hide the fact I'd been crying through the night but it was still obvious; my eyes were bloodshot and heavy and it was clear that I'd been up all night.

Cal had come into our room last night after getting home late, even though he'd said the late nights had stopped since Tori joined the team. I had no idea if he knew whether I was awake or not but he'd lingered there for a while before walking back out; clearly he'd been debating whether to join me or not. The fact that he didn't come back by the time I eventually fell asleep answered my question and I'd spotted him asleep on the sofa on my way to the bathroom in the morning.

It was the second time Cal had slept on the sofa. We had only been living together in New York a few weeks and already cracks were showing. Back in The Falls, we had a rocky start when we first met each other. He was cold and rude and he threatened me regularly and the beginning of him getting feelings for me had brought out rage and anger in him, meaning we had fought quite a few times. I thought we were past that now. He was certainly a completely different person and I never expected to have a relationship without some fights but I never expected him to take it so seriously.

It was a stupid row over Tori and it had kept him on the sofa two nights in a row. It pissed me off that he was so mad about me talking about her that way; mad enough that he hadn't spoken to me for over 48 hours and didn't want to sleep next to me. What was so fucking special about her that he would react this way?

I didn't look at him as I headed back to my room, placing my laptop into my backpack and pulling on my Vans and jacket before heading out to the lounge. I eyed him as I strolled past on my way to the door, slouched in his seat with his phone still in his hand. The hurt in my chest lifted a little as a wondered if maybe he had just fallen asleep by accident.

I let out a sigh as I watched him breathe; a vision of perfection. The way his ink work stood out against his fair skin was so beautiful to me. I stroked my hand from his hairline back across his head gently as not to wake him when I realised he was probably oversleeping and late for work. I moved quickly to shake him awake, removing his phone from his hand.

'Cal,' I whispered.

As I went to place his phone down on the sofa arm, the screen lit up, displaying an unopened text from Tori from last night.

Tori: Oh no, hope you're okay I'll see you in the morning, goodnight xx

What the fuck was she playing at sending heart emojis to my boyfriend? Why the fuck was she hoping he was okay? I'd never been one who believed in going through a boyfriends phone; talking it out was my preference. This time, I didn't think twice as I swiped the message and quickly glanced over the conversation between them.

'What the fuck?' I muttered angrily, as the first thing I spotted was Cal telling her we'd had a row. What the fuck did he need to tell her that for? It wasn't her business!

Cal stirred as I spoke and I jumped, quickly locking the phone and placing it onto the sofa. I was supposed to be waking him up for work but then, I was just sending him right to her. Fuck it, he could sleep all day and that was good with me; missing one day of work wouldn't kill him.

I shook my head at him and turned on my heel storming out of the apartment and leaving him to carry on dreaming about skanky Tori.

...

'You okay, Bethan?' Penny asked me, as we sat in the coffee shop after a day of classes.