35. Bethan

Ya'll are gona hate me...😖

'Penny, I'm waiting by the campus gates, are you done?' I asked my friend through the phone as I finished college for the day.

'Sorry, I have a tutorial for geochem again,' she sighed.

'Oh, Penny, reschedule,' I asked, pouting as I'd been excited to get straight back to our dorm to get ready for our night out tonight.

'I can't, Bethan,' she told me. 'I already cancelled the last one and Professor Grey wasn't happy about it.'

'Ugh, he sounds like such a bore,' I said with a scowl.

'He is,' she replied. 'Anyway, it's only half an hour so I won't be long.'

'Fine,' I sighed. 'Then I'll wait in the coffee shop for you.'

'Yeah, great,' she replied. 'See you soon.'

I hung up and made my way across the grounds to the coffee shop, ordering a coconut vanilla latte and taking a seat by the window. I stared out of it, waiting patiently for Penny as I let my mind wander to the phone call with Cal.

So, Tori had finally decided to make her move. She had been rooting for me to disappear so she could have him. I had been right. The ripple I'd felt through my chest when Cal had told me what she had done had made me want to leave my sleepover with Penny and Georgie and head to wherever she was to rip her head off. The feeling soon faded when Cal told me he had pushed her away. He sounded mad and he sounded upset that he had been so naive and not listened to me more. It was nice to hear but it shouldn't have taken her to kiss him for him to believe me.

'Bethan?' A voice made me blink out of my thoughts.

'Hey, Olivia,' I said with a smile as Brodie's girlfriend stood by my table with a takeout coffee in her hand.

'Nice to see you,' she said, smiling back. 'What are you doing here alone?'

'Waiting for Penny,' I told her.

'Oh, right cool,' she said. 'It was a really fun night with you guys at the club. I'm sorry you had to rush off.'

'Yeah, it was great,' I told her, ignoring the final comment. 'We're actually heading back there tonight if you'd like to come with?'

'Penny got you guys in again?' she asked.

'Yeah. Club Luna,' I said with a nod.

'It amazes me how she manages to get in,' Olivia chuckled. 'I mean, I have a friend of a friend whose step-father is a co-owner of Club Luna and pretty much everybody else that works high up for the place is like really old, so I have no idea who her connect is.'

'Connect?' I repeated with a laugh. 'It's a nightclub not a drug ring. It's probably one of their sons that she knows from college.'

'Yeah, probably,' Olivia said. 'Anyway, I think I'll give it a miss. Thank you though.'

'You're welcome,' I replied. 'Maybe next time.'

'For sure,' she said, taking a few steps away. 'Have a good night.'

'See you, Olivia,' I said, and she turned on her heel and left.

Strange girl. I couldn't help but think to myself that she was strangely interested in Penny. What did it matter if Penny had some powerful secret friends, we were benefitting from it and I preferred not to ask questions anyway.

As I glanced at the clock, I took another sip of my drink and left it, heading outside of the coffee shop to wait for Penny. As I stepped out the door, I saw her wavy ginger hair bouncing as she crossed campus quickly, giving me a bright smile and linking my arm happily.