12. Cal

I was finishing off the final part of a tattoo on my final client of the day as I listened to Charlie and Tori argue back and forth over whether or not chocolate should be kept in the refrigerator. I smirked to myself as I heard the arguments they presented to each other and the names they were calling each other in reply.

'I just think I'd rather not bite into a Hershey bar and lose my front teeth, that's all,' Charlie said.

'Why would you want to eat a warm chocolate bar?' Tori asked him. 'That's just fucking gross.'

'You're fucking gross,' he told her, as he continued on with his client's ankle tattoo.

Tori was currently designing some pieces at the desk and scowling at Charlie before turning to his client.

'What's your opinion on it, Joe?' she asked him.

'I'm with Charlie, girl,' he said. 'Sorry, but freezing cold chocolate is just fucking wrong.'

'Oh my god, Cal!' she cried. 'Set these guys straight.'

'It stays in the fucking pantry; end of story,' I said, without looking up from my client's arm.

'You're all fucked up,' she sighed.

'You're outnumbered; don't get personal,' Charlie sniggered.

'This is why I love coming here for my ink,' my client laughed. 'You guys crack me up.'

'Oh yeah, they're so professional right?' I said sarcastically.

'I'm just a passionate person,' Tori pouted.

'You're a sore loser, babe,' Charlie said with a shrug.

'Don't start me off,' she warned him.

'Okay!' I said loudly as I sat up straight and cracked my back. 'I'll wrap this up then you're all done.'

I retrieved the film from my station and wrapped up my clients new piece before handing him an aftercare flyer. He thanked me and I walked him out front, thanking him again before returning to clean up my station.

'That's you all done, man,' Charlie told his client.

'Awesome, Charlie,' the guy said as he moved to his feet. 'Thanks a lot, see you guys later.'

We waved him off and the three of us moved around, tidying everything up.

'So, how's things with Bethan?' Tori asked me from behind.

I felt my chest jump a little and dropped my eyes shut, irritated at myself for having telling her about that. I'd been hoping she wouldn't raise it but I knew her well enough by now and she loved a bit of drama.

'Everything's fine,' I said.

'You made up?' she asked.

'Well, we didn't need to,' I said. 'We're always fine; it was just a little spat, it was nothing.'

'Oh, well that's good,' she said, slowly.

'I dropped her a text saying happy birthday this morning,' Charlie said.

'It's her birthday?' Tori said in a surprised tone. 'Aww, what did you get her?'

'Oh don't get me started on what he got her,' Charlie chuckled. 'I would have paid good money to have seen Cal shopping on the Upper East Side. I would have paid extra to have seen the store clerk's faces when he stepped in.'

'Shut the fuck up,' I laughed.

'They probably thought they were about to get held up at gunpoint,' Charlie laughed. 'I bet their hands were heading for the panic button when you reached in your pocket for your wallet.'