45. Bethan

The next couple of days with Cal were beyond amazing. After my first night back in my apartment, I woke up the day after feeling like I'd never left at all.

Cal was already being so attentive to me and us being back together was an indescribable feeling. I'd reached a point where I thought I'd lost him for good and that he'd be gone by now and I'd never see him again. I'd began to plan my future alone and think about the new paths I would take now because the future we had planned together was gone. Now, we were together again and it really did feel like we'd turned over a new leaf and put the past behind us.

We'd spent the few days after Christmas just lounging around and spending time together, watching movies, cooking together, reorganising our apartment as well as making up for our lost time in the bedroom.

As Sunday morning arrived, I'd woken up to find that it was snowing outside and I stood at our bedroom balcony with a coffee in my hand, Cal's sweater draped over my tiny frame as I watched it fall. I felt a beautiful serenity fall over me as I stared out into the cold, dull morning and made a wish that my life would stay this way for good; no more fall outs with Cal or my friends, no more wild nights out getting wasted and making silly decisions that risked my relationship. I wasn't in high school anymore; I was a college student, still a teen but also an adult and I had to act like it.

Cal moved up behind me quietly, wrapping both arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.

'You okay?' he asked.

'Never better,' I replied, turning slowly to face him as I smiled.

He nudged his nose against mine and kissed me, his lips lingering before he pulled away and I pouted to myself.

'I'm back to work tomorrow,' he said.

'Back to work on New Years Eve?' I questioned. 'Bummer.'

'I'll be home early,' he said. 'They're all going to a bar to see the New Year out but I'll be here with you, of course.'

'Well, that sounds good to me,' I replied with a grin.

We spent the rest of Sunday working, Cal finalising his templates for his return to work and myself completing some of my assignment for World Poems.

We both headed to bed early, ready for Cal's early start the next day and when I woke up, he was already gone.

I felt a little disappointed that I'd missed him but I still couldn't shake the happiness of being back in my normal relationship where he'd go to work and I'd miss him all day and look forward to seeing him come home.

I got up, took a shower and got dressed before making some toast and relaxing on the sofa, calling Penny on my phone.

'Good morning,' she replied.

'Hey, I've tried to call you a few times this week,' I said, leaning forward eagerly as she finally picked up. 'I thought you were pissed at me or something.'

'Of course not,' she replied. 'Honestly, I've just been busy trying to catch up on my geochem work so I'm back where I should be for our return to classes.'

'Yeah, of course,' I said. 'I've been wanting to talk to you about Professor Grey.'

'Please call him Daniel,' she said. 'It's weird when you call him Professor.'

'Okay,' I giggled. 'What happened with Daniel? You said he wanted to meet to talk.'

'Yeah, we talked,' she said. 'He told me you'd reassured him and thank you for that, it really did make him feel better.'