38. Cal

'You can't do this,' Tori said, her eyes pleading with me as she sat across the table from me in the bar down the street.

'Have you told Charlie yet?' I asked her.

'No, it's not my place!' she cried.

'He's not talking to me,' I told her.

'Cal, you can't go!' she exclaimed. 'Please don't do this.'

'There's nothing left for me here,' I said, shrugging.

'Your business!' she cried. 'Your friends!'

'I came here for Bethan,' I said. 'I wouldn't be here if I hadn't met her and she hadn't gotten a place at Columbia. I belong in The Falls. In my cabin.'

'You have a better life here than back in your little cabin in the woods,' she said. 'You told me that money wasn't easy there. You own a business now.'

'I can't stay here after everything,' I sighed.

'So, lose the apartment,' she said. 'Get out of Inwood and away from the memories. Find a place in Brooklyn next to the shop and where your friends are. Create a new life here.'

'She'll always appear places I go,' I said. 'Maybe not all the time but I'll be sure to see her again.'

'But she'll return home to The Falls to see her family and you'll see her there,' she said.

'It's easier to avoid her back home,' I said.

'In that tiny town?' she asked. 'Compared to the big fucking apple.'

'Look,' I sighed. 'When I called you the other night you asked me to think about it. I thought about it for three days and now I'm telling you, my mind hasn't changed.'

'I don't want the shop,' she sighed.

'Then I'll keep the shop,' I said. 'You guys can still work there and forward me your rent every month.'

'Don't go,' she said, pouting at me.

'You should want me to go,' I said. 'I've been an ass to you.'

'I deserved it,' she sighed. 'Well, at least the majority of the time.'

'Like when you kissed me?' I teased.

'Shut up,' she said, turning red. 'I told you that was just-.'

'Yeah yeah, "a friendly gesture" I know,' I chuckled after mockingly mimicking her.

'Please just take the rest of the weekend to think it over,' she sighed.

'I've already packed, Tori,' I told her. 'I'm sorry. I'm leaving on Monday so I can be home with my family for Christmas.'

'I'm really sad,' she said, pouting at me again.

'I'll be sure to visit,' I told her. 'Make sure my shop is being run the right way.'

'We will look after it,' she said, her eyes filling up.

'I know you will,' I said. 'I trust you both. Even that asshole.'

'Say you'll make up with him before you leave,' she said.

'Of course,' I replied with a nod. 'I'll make sure I apologise to him.'

'Thank you,' she whispered, a tear escaping her eye.

'Don't do this, Tori,' I sighed.

'I'm sorry,' she said, quickly wiping it. 'I know you're not exactly a fan of soppy goodbyes.'