46. Cal

'Bethan, you're going to be late!' I yelled, as I threw my backpack over my shoulder and stopped by the door.

'I'm ready!' she said as she burst out of the bedroom, glaring at me as she rushed to grab her laptop.

'Watch that sass, I'll carry you right back in there and make you pay for it and then we'll both be late,' I joked.

'Oh no, please don't drag me back to bed for sexy time, I'm really looking forward to my World Poem's class this morning,' she replied.

'I'm really hoping that's sarcasm,' I said.

'Obviously,' she chuckled, pulling on her coat.

We both left the apartment and headed down to the car where I drove Bethan to campus, against her refusal, but it was her first day back and I wanted to.

We reached the street outside and I pulled in as she scooped up her bag and pulled her books into her grip.

'Thank you,' she said.

'Remember, I'll be late home tonight,' I told her.

'I know, I haven't forgotten,' she said. 'I'm going to stay late and do some catching up at the library anyway.'

'Okay well you can call me and we might be done at the same time, then I can come get you,' I said. 'I mean if you call me anyway it might give me an excuse to escape.'

'Cal, it's a good opportunity,' she said.

'The last one was pointless,' I told her. 'Tori believes these recruitment events are the best way for us to find another artist but what's wrong with a good old fashioned "help wanted" poster in the window?'

'It's not The Falls, that's what,' she chuckled. 'I hope you find someone.'

'Me too, we're really overbooked right now,' I sighed. 'Anyway, enjoy your first day back.'

'I will try,' she sighed, reaching over as we kissed each other quickly. 'Love you!'

'Love you more,' I replied, as she jumped out. She waved as she crossed in front of the car and I watched her until she reached the campus gates and disappeared before I drove off and headed to work.

I arrived at my shop in Brooklyn and headed inside, immediately moving through the back to my station to set up.

'Good morning,' I said to the other two, setting up their own.

'This is going to be a long day,' Tori whined.

'Complaining already?' Charlie teased.

'I don't blame her,' I said. 'We've all squeezed as many clients in as we can and probably won't eat today then straight to the career fair after. I think I'll just pass right out when I get home.'

'We just have to do our best and pray we can recruit a good artist soon,' Charlie said.

'That's the issue,' I said. 'So many artists but so little talent. I can't just hire anyone just because they can ink; I'm looking for very particular skills.'

'Geez,' Tori said, pulling a face.

'I don't know why you're mocking me, I hired you didn't I?' I said. 'You should feel privileged, it means you have those exact skills I'm talking about.'

'I do feel privileged,' she chuckled. 'Thank you for making me a chosen one.'

'Okay, shut up, no more talking, back to work,' I said, clapping my hands as the bell on the door jingled.

The three of us barely had time to speak as we continued on with client after client coming in the door. I had already taken away our monthly walk in days to book clients in for actual appointments with our waiting list growing everyday. It made me feel proud to see my business so successful but it didn't take away the stress of it all.

We all worked through lunch, not having time to eat as we'd shortened our time between clients and also couldn't afford to be behind with having to be at the career fair right after.

As the end of the day approached us, Tori and Charlie had finished their appointments and were cleaning up as I was wrapping up my final client's thigh, which now displayed a beautiful cluster of grey roses.

'Thanks so much, Cal,' she said.

'Not a problem, Katie,' I replied.

'I'll take you through, Katie,' Tori said to her and she waved to me as she disappeared out front.

'Dude, my back is killing me,' Charlie groaned. 'I'm getting too old for this.'

'You're not even thirty,' I said. 'Plus, I cant afford for you to quit on me so you're going to have to suffer, man.'

'What a delightful way to treat a friend,' Charlie joked.

'Business is business, buddy,' I chuckled.

'Okay guys,' Tori said, exhaling as she stepped back through. 'Let's hurry and get all of this cleaned up.'

We worked together to finish tidying the shop and Tori disappeared into the bathroom, returning in a smart, blue pantsuit.

'You're going to a career fair not applying for The Apprentice,' Charlie said, laughing at himself.

'We have to make a good and professional impression,' she said with a scowl. 'So if you think you're going there in that sweaty AC/DC t-shirt then you're not fucking coming.'

'Back me up,' Charlie said, turning to me.

'No way, man, I have my things in my backpack,' I said to him.

'We're fucking tattoo artists,' he said. 'Maybe that's why we didn't find someone last time. How do you think they expect us to look when they'll probably look like us too anyway?'

'We have to look presentable,' I told him. 'You wore that t-shirt yesterday and it still has the KFC gravy stains on it - from yesterday!'

'Ew, you're so gross,' Tori said.

'How about I don't come?' he said with a smirk.

'That was your plan all along you ass!' Tori said, throwing a towel at him.

'Here,' I said, retrieving one of my thin, quilted jackets from the coat stand. 'You can cover that t-shirt with this. At least it's a little better.'

'Or I'll go home,' Charlie said with a shrug.

'Put it on!' Tori cried.

I chuckled as I grabbed my backpack and headed into the bathroom, changing my sweater into a plain white t-shirt and putting on my black, buttoned up trench coat over the top.

When I returned, Charlie was wearing my jacket and I grinned as he gave me the finger. We headed out front, turning out the lights and stepping out onto the street where we headed to my car.

'Right then,' I said, pulling open the driver door. 'Let's go find the new addition to our fucked up little family.'