thirty

JENNIE'S POV

I looked at myself over the mirror one last time, putting on a smile before I went down my car.

I noticed an unfamiliar car parked near Lisa's. Shrugging, I went on to ring the doorbell.

I feel something off, but I disregarded it thinking it's just because of my mood earlier. I really don't get myself sometimes. I was jealous, okay. But I know it was too petty to even take it seriously. I don't just feel jealous, but I wasn't unbothered either. My own emotions led me to thinking that things falling into the right places were just a facade for our relationship.

Lisa makes me really happy, but is that all that matters?

What if Lisa and I are just working because we haven't even moved away from the starting line yet? Would it last 'till the end?

I snapped out of my trance when the door opened, revealing the woman in my thought with a tensed expression.

She fixed her eyes on me with a forced smile, "Jennie."

"Sorry I took too long," I suck in a deep breath.

"It's okay. Change of plans. Want to dine outside with me?" she asked sounding anxious.

I placed my hand on her arm, about to ask her what's wrong when an older lady suddenly appeared behind her. She's beautiful, elegant, and she really looks like Lisa, just more mature.

"Lalisa," she said in a thick voice. I shuddered when her stone cold eyes turned to me, "I didn't know you have a friend right there. Want to introduce her to me and your father?"

My mouth slightly fell open when I realized that she's her mom. Her parents are here. Is this what she's anxious about?

"No," Lisa says with so much conviction, "We're just about to head out."

I felt a pang of hurt right there. She didn't want me to meet her parents. But I know she has her reasons, it's kinda obvious, and she already told me before, she's not that fond of her parents.

"Dinner's ready," a masculine voice echoed around the house, a man whose eyes were the same as Lisa's appearing behind her mom and looked at me with the same intensity as Lisa's mom's, "If our daughter brought you here, then you're our guest as well. Come have dinner with us."

I swallowed dry, "Uhm, sure Sir..."

I felt Lisa's hand slowly intertwine with mine, and her parents were both aware of it.

Her mom smiled a little, "Call me Aunt Christine, this is my husband Leonel or just Uncle Leo. And your name is?"

"Jennie," Lisa answered for me.

"I'm sure she can answer on her own, Lalisa," Uncle Leo smiled at me, "Now come in, Jennie."

I hear Lisa heave a deep breath before we followed her parents, "I'm sorry I didn't know they're coming home," she whispered at me with worried eyes.

"It's all fine Lis," I assured her.

"Just tell me if you're not comfortable, okay? I've never introduced a girlfriend nor a friend to them before."

I nodded in understanding and squeezed her hand.

While we were eating, I realized how formal her parents really are. Dara and Siwon are both out of sight as we ate. Her parents looked so intimidating although they were being nice.

"I'm glad you became friends with this daughter of ours. She's not being a nuisance to you, is she?" Aunt Christine asked.

I felt Lisa tense beside me so I placed my hand on her knee to calm her.