1: New girl

It was fairly dark when my train pulled to a stop, I heard a rumble of thunder echoing in the skies through the window I was leaning my head on which made me clench my jaw- I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of a storm especially in a town I had never really visited before. I pulled a hairband off my wrist and tied my hair up in a messy ponytail revealing a recently shaved undercut (I regretted it after but had sort of grown into it), my awkwardly grown out fringe was more like curtains but they framed my face nicely-my hair wasn't too healthy due to the number of times I had dyed it but that didn't really bother me. Currently, the colour was a reasonably pretty shade of purple, not too dark but not too light, I didn't think I was going to change it anytime soon either- my mum had always said she loved it when she was still around.

"Fuck it." I mumbled to myself as I stood up, pulling my puffy blue vintage coat around my shoulders and shoving the book I had been previously reading in my backpack. To my pure joy, it started gently raining the moment I stepped off the train, I groaned because my coat didn't have a hood and I only had an address my dad had given me to lead me to my final destination. I got out of the station and stood on the sidewalk, staring at the piece of crumpled paper in my hands.

Shannon and Jessi Glaser
25 Birchwood Crescent

Jessi. That was the name of my cousin, we shared surnames since our dads were brothers. I had only met her once, but we were smaller then and I had changed a lot- I would find it probably funny if she even recognised me.

I snapped out of my brief trance just to notice how heavy the downpour had become, my eyes scanned the area around me- it looked like an average small American town, where everybody knew each other, from this deduction alone my stomach started to churn, my dad had enrolled me in a school here and I was going to be the new girl. The flash of lightning illuminated my face and I knew that it was time to start walking, my walk became a run and despite not knowing where to go I just knew I had to get to some sort of shelter. All the houses I was running past had porches where I could stay dry under but the lights were on, so I figured that I'd just have to find a house without its lights on and I'd be somewhat ok.

The weather was getting worse by the second and I was becoming desperate to get out the ran. Just as I was about to give up- my lungs burning from the amount of running I'd done- I spotted a house, without its lights on and with a nice little roof that jutted out of the house that I could sit under and gather my thoughts and maybe wait for the rain to get a little lighter.

Now, all this sounds reasonable and lucky- which is why everything goes wrong. I take one careful step on underneath the roof and the lights turn on automatically, I slam my eyes shut and bit my lip, whoever lived in this house was bound to know someone was standing outside their door if their automatic entrance lights turned on.

I was about to bolt it when the door opened, revealing a long-haired blonde teen that looked around a year younger than me. I sighed and swallowed the lump in my throat, "And who are you?" She sounded like a bitch.

"I'm someone who was just-" trying to get shelter from the rain, but I finished the sentence in my head because the blondie's little brother popped out from behind her.

"Oooooo who are you." He dragged out the 'u' and winked at me, making me grimace.

"Shut up Nick, go back to your little pervert friend," She snapped, as soon as Nick had scampered away she then turned her attention back to me, "Anyways, what do you want and why are you outside my house?"

I really just wanted to turn around and run, I didn't care how heavily it was raining, this was a situation that I didn't want to be in. I stuttered over my words and eventually blurted out something along the lines of, "Sorry- shelter- rain-" and scampered away. I mentally face palmed at how embarrassed I felt, oh well, I thought- I wouldn't have to see her again so it didn't feel like much of a problem.

The feeling of the rain against my head wasn't pleasant but I decided it was best to just look at the names of the roads and work my way to Shannon and Jessi.

The sound of shouting attracted my attention and made my head snap in the direction of the house it was coming from.
"Just leave me alone mum!"
"Jessi!" The name attracted my attention, was this their house? Had I just stumbled upon it by complete accident? I listened in to the conversation.
"For fucks sake mum!"
"JESSI GLASER YOU DO NOT-" her voice was cut off by the sound of a door slamming. Glaser, perfect, I had found the house.

I sprinted to the door and quickly knocked, desperate to get out of the cold. The noise of footsteps approaching the door made me nervous but I shook of the anxiety and waited.

The door opened, revealing a very upset Shannon. "Who are you?" She asked, hiding the hurt in her voice from her previous argument with Jessi. I smiled lightly, "(Y/n) Glaser." Her eyes widened at my name and she immediately invited me in.
"God you must be soaking, come on in, I didn't expect you to come today sorry." I told her not to worry about it and shrugged off my coat, she took it from me politely and hung it on the coat rack next to the door. "Do you want to run yourself a bath, I wouldn't want you to get a cold." Shannon said sweetly.
"That would be amazing, thank you." She made me feel immediately at home.
"Jessi's dad just moved out from the basement so I thought that could be your room if that's ok with you?"
"That's perfect thank you so much." I replied and gave her a warm smile, she returned it and walked in the front room.

She offered me food but I politely declined, saying that I had eaten before leaving. I took off my shoes and followed her to the basement, which was surprisingly really cozy, there was a double bed and a bland wooden wardrobe. There wasn't much furniture but I knew that I wouldn't find it hard to settle in.

I chucked my backpack on the floor and threw myself on the double bed, which felt a bit too comfy.
"Is that all you brought with you?" Shannon's voice snapped me out of my sleepy trance and I sat up on the bed to look at her.
"Uh, yeah- I didn't have much time to pack so I brought the bare necessities."
"Of course, well if you need anything- and I mean anything- my room is upstairs, don't hesitate to come and talk to me." Her voice was sweet and very comforting, it reminded me a lot of my mum's but I pushed that thought to the back of my head,
"Thank you so much Mrs-"
"Oh please, call me Shannon."