30: Returning home

The holiday was in the end exactly what me and Judd needed, a break from reality to improve our relationship. Admittingly, It had a bumpy start but at the end everything went smoothly and we spent our days by the sea trying to enjoy the sun as much as possible. It was romantic, cliche and simple.

Judd somehow tanned but it made him so much hotter in my eyes, my emo boy had a bit of color. He had bugged me about not being able to tan but there was really nothing I could do about it, to my extreme disappointment.

We had just arrived at the airport after a long journey and I saw in front of me a scene from hell, Shannon was arguing loudly with Jessi about something whilst Mr and Mrs Birch were kissing in an awkward smooch, I grabbed Judds hand and squeezed it. His head snapped down at me and he nodded with a pissed off expression, I knew this wasn't what he wanted but we were going to have to put up with it for the time being.

Shannon stopped arguing the moment that he saw me and Judd walking towards them. The rattle of the luggage that Judd was dragging became the only noise after that.

"(Y/n)!" She stammered, as if she was nervous about something. I sent her a confused smile and kissed Judd on the cheek before he went over to sort his parents out.
"It's good to see you again Shannon." I said after an awkward moment of silence as I decided what to say.

She scratched the back of her neck and I knew immediately that something wasn't right, her behavior wasn't matching up and it felt too familiar, like a dejavu.

Mom came from work exhausted as usual and threw herself on the sofa, patting the space next to her as if to tell me to come and sit. I rolled my eyes and turned off my phone.  The soft sound of rain hitting the window was the only sound heard as I shuffled next to her, she wrapped her arm around me and kissed my head affectionately. I noticed immediately that she was different that usual, as if something was something was really troubling her, she would only be overly affectionate in this way when she had maybe had a hard day at work or argued with my father.
"Mommy what's the matter?" I asked , tilting my head to the side. She scratched the back of her neck and took a moment to think about her words before speaking. I stared at her troubled eyes and listened to every word she had to say.
"Mommy's not too well baby."

I snapped out of my trance and bit my lip, holding back the wave of emotion that flooded over me. I suddenly missed my mom more than anything, I wanted to hug her and tell her about everything. I had to forget about that temporarily, maybe I'd think about it later on at night when the cold reality of everything would hit me.

"There's a visitor waiting for you at home!" Shannon said, her voice quivering slightly. I watched as she began to nervously fiddle with her fingers. Jessi, who was standing next to her and hadn't said a word since their argument had stopped was looking up at me with a concerned expression. I frowned, various possibilities rushing through my head as to who it could be,  but then I shrugged, assuming it was Leah.

Leah was unpredictable despite being a drama kid, she always would surprise me randomly when she'd come over to my house to talk about boys or try to get some info on me and Judds relationship.

I smile at the thought that she was waiting for me at home, it would be nice to have her good positive energy that she emitted around me right now.

Judd walked up behind me and wrapped his arm around my waist, digging his head in the crook of my neck before whispering in my ear that he would be going home with his parents and that he probably couldn't come and visit me tonight.

I turned around and pouted, "Don't worry about me Judd, I'll see you tomorrow anyways." I smiled and he shot me a small smile that only I saw. He pecked my lips before running off to join his Parents who had their phones out recording with happy expressions on their faces.

You're so lucky Judd Birch.

That thought passed through my head but I batted it alway and turned my attention back to Shannon who was grabbing my luggage to give me a hand to bring it back to the car.

The car journey was boring but when we arrived back home the cover of night had blanketed any natural light from the sun and the only thing shining was the electrical shine from the street lamps that illuminated the roads.

I turned the key in the lock but I didn't open it by myself as someone from the other side opened it first. My heart dropped and my blood began to pump faster, goosebumps crawled up my arms and spread throughout my body. I dropped everything that I was holding in my hand and my purse that I had bought with Judd clattered onto the floor, spilling all the contents messily onto the concrete entrance to the house. I couldn't even hear Shannon and Jessi's footsteps approach behind me. My head had to tilt up slightly to look him in the eye. The cold glare that met my furious one was one that sent shivers down my spine.

"I thought that it was time for me to visit you (Y/n)."

A/n- sorry for not updating so often, I'll really try to keep an updating schedule if you guys really like the book💗