3: Kleptomaniac

"So how was school?" Shannon asked when I arrived home. Sighing, I shrugged, it was nothing special- I hated Chemistry, disliked Maths, found English Lit manageable and survived Art.
"I can't say it was exciting." I replied, unenthusiastically.
"That's a shame, well I'll call you when dinners ready. I hope they didn't give you homework on your first day." Shannon was sweet and I appreciated how she was trying to act all motherly towards me, I had to admit I wasn't used to having a mother figure anymore but I enjoyed it.
"Luckily no, so I'm just going to have a nap probably and regain some energy."
"Could you do me a favor and check up on Jessi please? She won't even let me into her room." 
"Of course, I'll go get changed and go and talk to her."
"Thank you so much (Y/n)."
"No worries, it's the least I can do." I replied, smiling. She nodded and wandered back into the kitchen.

I could tell how exhausted Shannon was so I decided it was best if I did go and have a chat to Jessi and hopefully sort things out. So after changing into sweatpants and a bralette I trudged up the stairs and found her door, knocking on it a couple times. "Go away mom!" She shouted angrily, I coughed to clear my voice and she immediately understood who I was.
"Not your mom but I can still go away if you want." I joked, I heard her shuffle and she opened the door, pulling me into a hug.

We sat down on her bed after that, I noticed how barren her room looked, it was as if she'd ripped down all the posters, I noticed the little marks from where there had been sellotape holding them up. She sat there looking at her hands not saying a word, whilst I gazed at my surroundings.

"So wassup Jessi, I wanted to bond with you a little, how about we take your moms car and go clothes shopping?" I had thought up of this idea whilst changing into my comfy clothes, she looked up at me and beamed.
"You can drive?" She asked curiously, never removing the smile off her face. I knew a way to get her excited.
"Yeah of course! I need to go look at some clothes and makeup and wanted to know if you wanted to come join."
"Uh- YES!" She exclaimed looking very enthusiastic about our girl trip.

Shannon let me borrow her car and I waited downstairs for Jessi to come downstairs, I told her to dress comfy. "I'm going to take her to the mall and hopefully talk to her then." I assured Shannon.
"Okay, what time will you be thinking of coming home."
"I think we'll probably stay out for dinner, unless you've already prepared something for us."
"No actually that would be great, I was actually panicking over what to cook, but I'll probably just order Chinese- thank you so much." She gushed, pulling me into an extended hug.

I put the car keys into my fanny pack which was positioned like a seatbelt over my torso. There was a bit of cash and my phone also in there. I was still in my sweatpants and bralette but I didn't mind, I simply put on my puffy blue coat which was provided just the right amount of warmth. Jessi met me by the door and we sprinted to the car, jumping in just as quickly as I started the engine. I connected my phone to the aux and started playing tunes at full volume, Jessi looked ecstatic.

I was hopeful for our trip, I would make sure that we both had fun. "So young one, clothes or makeup first?" I asked, temporarily taking my eyes off the road to look at her and lowering the volume so we could talk properly.
"Makeup! No clothes! No-"
"Makeup it is." I chuckled and turned the music back up, watching Jessi happily sing along to the lyrics of the song I had put on. She threw up her hands and began doing a funny little dance, I laughed and did it as well, letting go of the wheel for a moment. Jessi squealed and I laughed, calmly putting my hands back on the steering wheel- she'd obviously not been with anyone who'd done that before but it looked like she was enjoying herself.

The mall was packed and I didn't want to lose Jessi so I held her hand, she didn't complain though. When we got to the makeup shops I knelt down so I was her height. "Right when we go in there, tell me what you want and then leave the shop."
"W-What- why?"
"Trust me." I smiled reassuringly, I had done this too many times so I knew exactly what I was doing. I held her hand tightly and we walked in the Sephora together, she wandered off and I began looking at the makeup pallets, grabbing whichever I liked she came up to me and handed me the stuff, I loved how innocent she was- she handed me a small mascara and a lip balm and left the shop. I wandered around a little more, trying to ignore the looks the security guard was giving me. I luckily found a spot that was slightly hidden and tucked everything I had grabbed into my pockets. No one noticed anything, as usual, and I calmly walked out, smiling as I saw Jessi standing outside the shop with a concerned look on her face. I grabbed her hand again and led her to another shop. "What's that look for?" I asked, chuckling.
"Are you embarrassed to be seen with me?" She asked me sadly, that took me aback.
"What?! No of course not, cmon let's get a smoothie and I'll explain." I replied, eyeing up a nice smoothie bar in sight.

We were walking with our smoothies and I reached into one of my pockets and pulled out the things she had given me. Her eyes widened, "You got them for me?"
"Yes, but you see Jessi- I've only got $20 in my fanny pack and your mascara and lip gloss would've costed $35."
"W-What y-you didn't pay for them?"
"Bingo, and if I got caught I didn't want you getting involved." Her face was suddenly washed with realization, I thought she would be disappointed but instead she pulled me in for a massive hug.
"Thank you, I wasn't feeling very good and this trip really cheered me up."
"I'm glad, but why weren't you feeling too good- cmon talk to me and then we'll go and grab some clothes, so you can impress the boys at school." I winked at her and her face reddened.
"Well I just-" She was cut off by someone walking into me at force, it took me by surprise and I fell back onto my ass.
"Watch where you're fucking going!" I exclaimed, lifting my head up after to see who had walked into me. My eyes met with cold green ones, I clenched my jaw, recognizing immediately who it was.
"Look where you're walking then." He replied, sounding just as pissed off as I felt.
"You have eyes as well idiot." I began to get up and he extended a hand to help me, I batted it away and got up to my feet on my own. He grunted and walked away, jerking his head slightly to get the hair out of his eyes.

Jessi looked up at me with confused eyes, "You good short straw?" I asked, averting my eyes to avoid eye contact.
"That was Judd."
"Yeah I know, I sit next to him in Chemistry- don't think there could be a more unpleasant human." At the thought of that chemistry lesson I cringed.
"Y-Yeah haha he's weird." She didn't sound like she meant it, I smirked at her.
"Ooooooh, holdup you like him?" I teased and her face reddened again.
"N-No! He's nick's older brother that's gross." Nick, I recognized that name, I brushed away the weird feeling though and I carried on teasing little Jessi about her crush on Judd.

I decided I didn't want to talk to Jessi about what was happening at home because it would ruin her mood, so I planned to do it either tomorrow or the day after. This afternoon and evening was for us to bond as cousins, seeing as we'd have to live together for the rest of the year I thought it was necessary.

By the end of the day me and Jessi had stolen so much we had to ask for a bag at a random shop. When we got back to the car we had a look at everything we got, it ranged from bras to whole outfits that we'd just pieced together from different shops. "McDonald's drive thru?" I asked Jessi, who was marveling at all the clothes in front of her.
"Yes!" She cries out excitedly, I nodded and we pulled out of the mall parking lot.