6: party wolf

My outfit was as follows, cropped red tank top and Grey champion sweatpants- I had chosen comfort over looks which was a new concept for me. I tied my hair up in a messy bun, my makeup was still eyeliner, mascara and eyebrows but to spice things up a little I added some red eyeshadow that went with the colour of the top. I spun around in the bathroom mirror to have a look at myself and decided I would also add in some dangly heart earrings that framed my face nicely.

"Hello, anybody home?" Jessi's voice rang throughout the house. I walked out of the bathroom and waved at her.
"Do you know where Shannon is?" I asked, raising an eyebrow questioningly.
"Is mom not home?" She closed the front door behind her and shrugged off her coat, going up on her tip toes to reach the coat hanger.
"N-No I thought you two had gone out or something?"
"I've just come back from my after school detention."
"Oh ok well I feel bad leaving you at home alone so if you want to come to this party that I'm going to with me you're very welcome to." I tried to change the subject and invited her to come with me, I honestly didn't want to leave her alone- especially if Shannon didn't come home tonight, which made me worried for her but I'm sure there was a perfectly logical reason as to why.  Plus Jessi was always fun company.

"Uhh yeah that's totally cool, I'm totally cool with that- yeah, totally cooooool."
"Judd Birch is going to be there." I winked at her and she blushed, fidgeting with her hair. I still couldn't believe he had invited me, I wasn't going to make Jessi jealous though. I chuckled at my thought and snapped back into reality.
"What time does the party start?"
"9, but we're going to come just a little bit late because all the cool people turn up later."
"Y-yeah!"
"Anyways what do you think of my outfit?" I spun around to show her the fit.

She didn't say much, I just watch her stand there. The wind blew against the windows and made them rattle a bit, which made me a bit anxious but I ignored the feeling for the time being. I gazed off in the distance for a moment to see what type of weather there was outside, the sun was starting to set and I could see a couple walk on the pavement starting to get their umbrella out.

"You look hot." Was all Jessi replied, I laughed and leant down to hug her. She squeezed me and I could tell something was up that she hadn't told me about but I thought it best not to ask for the time being. Instead I walked to the kitchen and opened up the fridge, there wasn't much, but there was enough to whip up a quick meal before we had to leave. I began to get out kitchen utensils to cook with and spotted an envelope on the counter addressed to me. My first move was to get Jessi distracted so that she wouldn't see it. I grabbed the envelope and shoved it in the one of the pockets of my sweatpants.
"Jess go have a shower, wash school out of you girl and I'll make us some spaghetti with tomato sauce." She nodded excitedly and dashed up the stairs. I let out a deep sigh of relief and got out the envelope, opening it cleanly with a kitchen knife. Inside was a letter and $500, my breath hitched in my throat, I didn't even guess what was the contents of that letter- this had happened to me before many times with my dad, but usually there was less money, Shannon had been generous.

I'm sorry for everything being last minute, I have to go away for a few days for work reasons. I put some money in the same envelope as this note.
Love,
Shannon

I had to say, she had played it very smartly, my dad would just write- away for a bit. I shrugged off the thought of my dad and decided that me and Jessi would get whichever takeout she wanted and we'd watch some Tv to pass the time.

After she had finished getting ready and had come downstairs we agreed on Pizza and ordered a large to share between us, as we knew we'd probably not finish one each. I checked the time quickly, 8:30- perfect, there was no rush. I told Jessi to pick a Tv show to watch on Netflix and rushed downstairs quickly to charge my phone before we left.