Chapter 2: Meet And Greet, Part 2

And with that Newt left, leaving both Stella and I with more questions than before.

"Here you guys should eat. All that running has you guys looking like klunk", Chuck said with a laugh.

"Klunk? What is that supposed to mean", Stella spat.

"Another word for poop basically. But enough of that you shanks need to eat."

He pushed a tray of food through a little opening under the bamboo window. There were two sandwiches, some berries, and a piece of steak. I bit into the sandwich and my mouth exploded with flavor. Stella ate the steak. I know that you can read my mind, Stella. She looked at me right before she dropped her steak onto the tray. "How?", she asked with a confused face. "I don't know". I didn't even know how it was possible. There was a reason for it and it was maddening that I couldn't figure it out. Just make sure nobody finds out Stella, we don't know what this means.

Next thing we knew, Boys came and surrounded the slammer. "It is time for the bonfire.", The boy unlatched the slammer's lock and reached in. Each boy grabbed us making sure that we couldn't escape or run off again.

It was dark and cold-very, very cold- The wall that we previously tried to go through was now shut. What do we do? Do we try again to run away? Violet, please help me, these boys are giving me the death stare as if we were about to be dinner! I thought really hard trying to get a connection to Stella but, I lost contact with her due to the boys dragging her farther away from me as if they knew that we could read each other's minds.

    I could see a light- No, not a light- A bonfire. With logs surrounding it and trees everywhere. There were boys and I recognized some of them. 

   One was Newt, another was Ben, another was the guard- the one Stella and I assaulted- and a few that I saw when they walked past us in the slammer spreading whispers. Is the doctor that tried to hurt us gonna be there?, I wondered. The boys continued to drag us till we reach the bonfire. All of the boys were staring at us. Stella and I were shivering - able to see our breath. 

They sat us down on a log that was far away from the bonfire. The log was under a tree. In the darkness. Should we try??, I was able to make a connection with her since she was in range. Where would we go though? I am done....I give up. Just give them what they want and maybe just maybe they will let us go home. 

                  I couldn't believe that Stella thought that. Guards who were surrounding us (making sure we won't run away), looked confused. "You are seriously gonna give up now?", I whispered delicately. She looked down at the dirt floor. She nodded. " Look at me, I meet you a few hours ago and I know that you are the most confident, bravest girl that I have ever meet". She smirked. " I have an idea!", She said - a bit too loudly. 

                     " You two stay quiet or we will separate you two", The guard said. 

      " Oh, now we are prisoners. Great!", Stella yelled, standing up, she was so close to the guard that she was making eye contact. I stood up trying to calm her down. 

            " Sit back down", another boy said. We sat down. Newt came around the corner. "Stand down! These are young girls. Not prisoners.", Newt yelled. "We had our orders from Be-", Newt cut him off. He pointed to the bonfire. And, all of the boys left. In some way, it seemed as if Newt was the leader or as if he was the mean one.