Chapter 10: Lost And Found

A Griever gang got in our way, forcing us into a corner where we were trapped

We stopped running and turned to one another, hoping that one of us had a plan for escape.

 I looked around frantically to see if there were any rocks or sticks we could use to build something, anything. 

Stella tugged my shirt and pointed to the ivy. I knew what she was thinking; we had to climb the ivy to the top of the walls.

We slowly walked backwards with our fronts still facing the Grievers. They followed step-in-step. I calculated their height to know how fast and how high we had to climb for us to be out of reach. 

Given the distance of about seventeen feet, we had to climb eleven feet in twenty seconds. I shared my calculations with Stella and she nodded her head trying to hide how nervous she was. One more step back and we were off!

The ivy didn't give us good foothold so we had to climb with our hands only, while the rest of our body just dangled. 

The Grievers sped fast towards us tugging on the ivy, successfully loosening Stella's grip. Her eyes went wide as she slipped against the wall, but she kicked furiously with her legs forcing the griever to give up. 

We climbed higher and higher, my hands were on fire and they were already starting to feel sore. 

I could feel my muscles burn in protest at every movement, telling me to rest and let go. Stella climbed higher and higher until she came to the top of the wall, breathing with relief. I was almost there when I felt a strong tug on my foot.

One of the Grievers had caught up.

I grabbed the ivy until I could see my knuckles turn white. The Griever was strong and I could feel my grip loosening. Stella stood there in shock. 

She got on her knees and grabbed my hands, pulling with all her possible force. I kicked with all my might trying to get rid of the griever. Stella was finally able to get a stronger hold and I was free. However, we gained momentum and we stumbled.

We fell off of the wall.