Chapter 9: There We Go Again

I grabbed Ben's wrist and twisted them. And, I ran. 

There were some boys in my way so I pushed my way through the line of boys. Some catching themselves, some falling straight on the ground. 'It doesn't matter who gets hurt, just have to get my sister.' I kept repeating the phrase in my head.

Minho stepped in front of me with his hand on my chest. "Don't do this, please!", He said.

 I shook my head, disgraced that he would even think for a second that I would leave my sister out in the maze all alone.

Ben was starting to walk towards me. I pushed Minho back. I felt sorry for him. And, then I entered the maze. I ran and ran. Not looking back, knowing that the runners were coming after me.

The sun was starting to disappear and I was aware that the walls had closed by now. I knew that it would've been smart to stay in the Glade, but it didn't feel right. I decided to run into the room where we had hidden from a Griever once before.

How did Ben even figure out our secret? Was he one of the other boys from my memory? I kept running looking left and right for any sign of human life. I heard something.

Footsteps.

I ran towards the noise, praying that it was Stella.

It was Newt, Minho, and Thomas, all breathing heavily.

Minho tried making eye contact with me but I looked away.

"What's with you guys and this Maze? Asking for a death wish?", Thomas asked.

"I was running to the secret room, for shelter", I said ignoring his questions.

"Should be straight ahead", Minho said.

We ran there while Newt limped to our destination. All our hope for a shelter was sucked away by the baffling sight.

The hideout was no longer there.

The vines had been removed and there was a huge concrete block placed right into the hole in the wall, preventing anyone from getting in or out.

How was this even possible? I did understand that the walls changed every night, but Minho always came here when he ran the Maze every morning.

Everyone looked as confused as I did.

"Minho, what's happening?". Thomas asked with a furrowed brow.

"I don't know. Doesn't surprise me though. Whoever put us here likes messing with our shuck heads."

"How do we escape the Grievers now?", I asked. Minho turned to me an unreadable expression on his face.

"The old fashioned way; run and pray that you live."