Chapter 8: The Boycott Club

"And, be careful..", Newt looked at his limp. He continued. "Be careful. If you fall off the wall it will hurt and damage you.... Physically and Mentally.". The room fell silent almost as if a griever walked in.

I nodded. "Ok, I think that you're all set. Now, are you sure you want to do this?", Minho brushed his hands against my shoulders. His ocean eyes looking directly at mine. I looked away afraid I would get too attached.

"Hey. Look at me, Violet.", he pulled my chin up so that we made eye contact.

"You're going to be fine, I know it. You're the smartest girl I've met, besides that sister of yours."

"We're the only girls you've met, you shuck face"

He chuckled.

"Violet, don't forget me when you're in there. I just don't want to lose another friend to that Maze. Can't believe two years of that hasn't driven me insane."

"It's hard not to forget you and your sassy remarks, Minho. Now, I better get some rest. Chuck took my hammock, so I could sleep on the grass."

"Take my hammock. I sleep inside one of those huts anyways. Perks of being a Runner." He smiled proudly.

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"No. I can be nice too."

"I appreciate it. Thanks"

More staring.

Someone made a coughing sound and it made me aware that Newt and Thomas were still in the hut.

With my hand inside my sweater pocket, I sheepishly said goodnight and walked out.

"Here, I'll walk ya to the hammock. Wouldn't want you to get lost on the way there," Newt said, Smirking. I admired his jokes but, not as much as Stella usually did. He lead me to the hammock and gave me a blanket along with a sweater to defeat the cold.

I climbed on top of the hammock aware that everyone else had already succumbed to sleep. It was actually very peaceful at night if you ignored the screeching of the Maze changing. The sky was covered with stars like white paint splattered across a black canvas.

Newt was staring at the sky, an unreadable expression on his face. We stayed quiet for a while, almost afraid that if we spoke it would never be this peaceful again.