Chapter 2: Meet And Greet, Part 3

"You didn't have to do that. I had it under control", Stella said with a frown.

"You Greenies have already caused enough havoc. Besides we wouldn't want you to get hurt on your first day now, wouldn't we?" Until now, that I could hear him clearly, I realized Newt had an accent. British. The word popped into my head so suddenly, like someone had forced it in through my skull. "I never got your names by the way", Newt said.

"I'm Violet and this troublemaker is Stella."

"Violet and Stella. Pretty names for girls like you. Welcome to the Glade." He smiled and I could see Stella's clenched fists loosen up. We followed Newt and sat on a log, close enough for the fire to give us warmth.

"Girls like you? What is that suppose to mean, huh?", Stella said. She sounded as if she was annoyed and she was getting more annoyed for every second she was on that log.

" Just take the bloody compliment!", He said smirking. "This is the glade and that over there is the maze". He pointed at the metal wall that was shut.

What the hell? The maze and The glade? What is happening?, I thought.

"Do you remember when you guys were in the shucking box? Yea, that was what transported you into the maze.", he said.

Stella and I both rolled our eyes.

He must be an idiot, Stella thought

Tell me about it, I replied.

" Oh and by the way you guys aren't the only ones who can read minds.', He said

We both looked at each other. "Haven't you ever heard of a private conversation?", I said with a little sassiness.

"And, I'm not an idiot.", He paused. " Now, that you know that.... We have ground rules and you disobey them, you go into the slammer. And, the boycott club decides how long you stay in there."

"Boycott club"

"It is like a court. Now, rules.... #1 you don't go into the maze at all, only the runners. And if you get stuck in the maze- well lets just say, No one has ever spent a night in the maze and made it out to tell the story. #2 Everyone has jobs and you girls will have one. #3 That stunt you pulled on Alby ( Our doctor) won't be tolerated At All #4 Ben and I are in charge. What we say goes. Don't even argue it. #5 Those guards have weapons and we allow them to use them if they need to, so that brings us to rule #6 Listen to your elders and trust me by the looks of it, all of us are your elders.", He giggled.

"Hold on, we are the only girls here?", Stella asked.

"Ummm.... Yea. You girls will get your jobs tomorrow. You girls are gonna sleep inside the hut by the Homestead. So get going, sleep well."

He left and we started to walk to our hut. We got on our hammocks trying to make sense out of it the situation

Then, we fell asleep.