Nine.

Scarlett's POV
The palace was quiet after Brandon's funeral that morning, thankfully the rain held up until this afternoon. No one needed to be even more miserable then they already were at Brandon's funeral.

I was sitting in the living room area connected to my quarters, working on some paperwork considering I would usually work on it in the garden but it's raining so opted my quarters and not the conference room.

I hear the door to my quarters open "Scarlett?" I hear.

"In here"I say not looking up from my paperwork.

"You've been in here all day"

"I've been you know being the Queen"I snap jokingly as heavy boots enter the room. I look up quickly to see Cole coming in.

"Do you spend all your time doing paperwork?" He asks, sitting beside me and leaning back. I nod "really?"

"Well I had to distract myself for a year without you so"He chuckles and leans forward on his knees. He kisses my shoulder.

"Yes well I'm here now so"

"And yet I still have to be your queen"

"I'd say your more then that"he says. I could feel his breath on my neck as he reaches over and grabs one of the many papers on the coffee table.

"Do you have new papers everyday"

"Yes, almost every time"I nod.

"I'm gonna make you supper" he announces.

"You don't have too, supper is soon"

"Supper finished two hours ago"I stop writing and look at the grandfather clock in the corner.

"Really?" He chuckles and nods "keep up the good work, I'm gonna make supper and your gonna eat it with me"he says and kisses my cheek before standing up and exiting the room.

Cole's POV
"She would hardly know how to throw a ball I was afraid she was about to get picked on at school but now she's as social as a social butterfly"

"That did not make sense but okay"Scarlett laughs. I smile across from her. I had pulled out a small table from her living room area onto the balcony and we ate it out there, the stars above us.

I shrug "yea well, she gets it from my dad"tell her as I sip on my beer.

"He was social too?"

"Could talk up a storm with just about anybody he came across" I nod. She smiles as my eyes go down to her neck, I switched out my father's dog tags for mine and I wore his around my neck.

"May I ask a question"

"Go ahead"I nod.

"I know most people don't want to be asked this when they come back from war but what happened?" She asks. My throat catches and I clear it.

"I um yea I don't think I'm quite ready to tell people yet"she nods slowly.

"Very well, I just want you to know that I'm here when you do wanna tell us"I nod and smile.

"Okay your turn" I say leaning on the table.

"Turn for what?" She asks with a small laugh.

"Turn to tell me some childhood stories, come on. You and your siblings must have at least rebelled once or twice stuck in this palace of yours"

"Well"

"Oh this outta be good, slide that piece of cake over"I say as I grab a new fork, she laughs and slides it across the table so we can share as she begins to tell me a story about her and Trevor.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I cock my gun "I'm out"I sigh as I look over at the three soldiers beside me. They all nod in agreement. We were screwed.