Twenty-Seven.

Marie smiles as she hands an elder a cup of water.

As the summer days ended and fall began, cold season began and when Marie was not in school or being at the palace Marie found herself in the local hospital. She enjoyed helping others and knowing that they should could bring a smile on their faces.

Marie glances over at one of the soldiers outside of the hospital that Jefferson sent to watch Marie. Her eyes widen and narrow as she spots him talking to none other then Thomas Shiffer.

She was confused as to why he was home when it was mid fall and he should be at his boarding school in London. Turning away from the door not wanting to get caught.

Marie walks over to a young nurse who gladly allows her to help her clean up a tray table. In the corner of Marie's eye she could see Thomas speak to a few patients and discreetly glance at her.

The two had not talked since the party weeks ago, she did not say a goodbye when he came around before he left for London.

"Dorothy" Thomas' voice says, it sounded deeper. Much deeper.

"Thomas hello" The nurse beside Marie smiles at the young boy. Thomas tells the young nurse that a head nurse needed Dorothy's hand and assured her that he would help me. The nurse smiles at the two and excuses herself.

"Shocked to see you here" Marie speaks up. Thomas shrugs "should you not be at school?" She questions grabbing the tray and placing it on a metal table, reaching for another.

"Not when you are expelled" Thomas says with a shrug. Marie's head snaps up, shocked.

"You got expelled?" She questions her voice raising.

Thomas chuckles "it is not much of a surprise, I had been trying to get myself expelled for years. The head master had it coming" The boy shrugs.

"Thomas" Marie scolds as their gaze finally meets.

"You cut your hair" Thomas says changing the subject. She gapes at him.

"Do not change the subject" She rolls her eyes. Marie had cut her hair, not too much though. At the beginning of the month her hair had ran past her hips she then convinced her parents and Jefferson to cut her hair to her mid back.

"It looks good but I prefer your longer hair" Thomas speaks up.

She narrows her eyes at him "why? Because you like to tug at it?" Marie scoffs as she noticed a small smile on his lips.

"You never did say a proper hello" Thomas points out.

"I never did say a proper goodbye either" She taunts back.

"And I was a wounded soldier after that" Thomas says dramatically. She narrows her eyes at him. "Are you even allowed here when it's flu season?" He questions.

Marie stares at the boy "so are you just gonna keep starring?"

"You are despicable" Marie shakes her head. Thomas looks around before gripping Marie's wrist and tugging her away from the busy room. "Thomas!" She whisper yells "stop it!"

The pair turn a corner and he drops her wrist "that hurt you do know that" Marie snaps at the older boy rubbing her wrist.

"I wanted to apologize"

"Well apologize not accepted. Mother will have a fit about me at supper" The girl mumbles.

"Not about that" Thomas sighs, she looks up with her eyebrows raised "okay that too. But I meant apologize for what I said at the party" he begins awkwardly, shifting his feet.