Forty-One.

"And why didn't you tell me before?" William asks in a hushed tone as he watches Thomas tip his third cigarette into the ash tray.

"Because it was confidential Will" Thomas sighs.

"You better stop before Marie walks in. So I can only assume that this lunch is?"

"To do nothing but make him feel cornered" Thomas says and drops his cigarette into the ash tray.

"And you are okay with this plan?" William asks.

Thomas shifts on his feet, sliding his hands into his uniform pockets. "I came up with it" Thomas says. The door to the hall opens up revealing the girls.

"Well don't you girls clean up well" Thomas says with a smile over at Marie, Helena and Susanna.

"And your still in your uniform" Marie chuckles. Thomas shrugs.

"My father can kiss my"

"I am still in the room" Susanna speaks quickly.

"Kiss my shoes" Thomas answers quickly glancing at Susanna.

"Good cover up Tom" Helena chuckles from beside William.

"I have a poor mouth from the army, sue me if it's a crime" Thomas shrugs and Susanna rolls her eyes.

"You ready to be civil with your father Tom?" Helena asks and Thomas responds with a loud scoff.

"The only reason I am being civil with that low life of a man is because Scarlett and Cole told me to"

"Yea it is best not to disobey them" Nicholas says walking into the dinning hall with a puffed pastry.

"Nicholas" Marie scolds and walks over to him, leaving Thomas' side. William and Thomas share one last confidential glance before the door swings open revealing Scarlett and the Prime Minister.

"And here are the lovely children" Theodore Shiffer smiles as he eyes all the children in the room. The three soldiers behind Scarlett scoff quietly.

"Mr Prime Minister" Susanna greets with a tight and fake smile as Thomas crosses the short distance towards his girlfriend.

Marie watches her boyfriend and he lifts the corner of his mouth telling her silently he'll behave. Thomas wraps an arm around Marie's waist as he glares at his father.

"Mr Prime Minister" William nods gruffly to the older man. Marie stares up at her boyfriend, worried he may snap any second.

"Well, shall we eat?" Scarlett asks gesturing to the table ready to be sat at. Theodore nods and everyone gathers around, sitting down.

Much to Thomas' dismay he sat across from his father, Cole seated next to him on his right. Marie reaches over and grips his hand, noticing his legs bouncing.

The kids seemed to zone out as Scarlett and the Prime Minister talked all things politics, even Cole seemed to be bored with the lunch.

"William, Helena. Scarlett tells me your wedding is coming along" Theodore says changing the subject.

Susanna could see the mood change within both Scarlett and Cole.

Helena glances at William quickly "it is" Helena answers for the both of them. Theodore smiles not noticing the change in mood.

Theodore clears his throat before looking at his son "have you talked to your mother lately son? She sure does miss you at home"

Everyone's head quickly snaps over to Thomas as his jaw ticks "you know Father I have, she says she's settling well into the house. Even offered to have Marie and I over for dinner in the next couple weeks" Thomas says eyeing his father.